What happened to the portlight?

Previous topic - Next topic

tonywright

This came about when I was looking on Yachtworld to see if any more Catalina 34's were listed as having a Yanmar engine (I could only find the one, from Eastern Yacht Sales). But then something seemed odd about the picture of some of the 2008 and 2009 models being advertised.

Take a look at the two pictures below. One of them shows only one portlight on the starboard side. I found that the official pics on the Catalina website are the source. The implication is that the portlight has been removed from the aft cabin on the latest model. I wonder what the interior looks like with less light coming in?  Maybe some new cabinetry took its place? Anyone have info on this?

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

waterdog

a) It's part of the new retro design initiative and they've gone back to the Mark I era.   It's why we call any actvity in the aft cabin spelunking.

b) Graphic designers willy nilly flip photos right to left to achieve the look they are going for.   You are looking at the image of the port side mirrored.

c) Catalina can build the boat $192 cheaper without that port and with the right light at the boat show, nobody will notice the difference.

d) ??
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

tonywright

You know, (b) could be the answer. Take a look at the couple sitting in the photo. What's the odds they would be wearing the same outfits for the photo a year or two later?

There again, maybe Catalina really has removed the portlight, and had someone digitally airbrush the portlight away, to save money reshooting the photo? Thus saving not only $192, but an extra $350 for the photo.

The plot thickens...
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

waterdog

Same outfits?  Now that you mention it, they haven't even changed position in the cockpit. 

Not only that, but if you go to the C34 Home on the Catalina website you can see a big picture of a boat with a portlight on the port side providing illumination into the cockpit locker.

We are looking at two sides of the same boat with photos taken minutes apart.   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Stu Jackson

Sounds more like a conspiracy theory to me... :shock:

It always allows us to sleep in later without those pesky "skylights," whatever position they may be in, that let that early morning light in to wake us up.  The old boats surely never had to need to put canvas on the foredeck light, or inside the aft cabin portlight - heck, we don't even HAVE them! :thumb:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

canuck

It is a ploy in order to arrange bailout funds and decieve Congress. Heard there was a flotilla (Catalina, Hunter and Beneteau) heading to Washington via the Intercoastal Waterway. Rumours via Bloomberg is that they are installing hybrid Yanmars as well!