Key switch on control panel

Previous topic - Next topic

PAUL T.

I became owner of hull #766 1988 in November 2001. During the first few days of operating the boat, I accidently turned the key to the off position while the engine was running. I wondered why the gauges were not working. I figured it out a few minutes later and put switch to on position. Can anybody tell me if this is harmfull? Everything seems to be OK. Thanks for any input on this subject. Paul "SEAESTA".

jentine

Paul, If you didn't blow anything up, I would assume that it did no damage, but I would not make a habit of it.  
Jim Kane

Stu Jackson

Paul

Not a problem.  The key energizes the circuits for the gauges (and alarms if you have them wired that way).  Once the engine gets going, the only thing that'll stop it (on purpose) is the kill handle.  Occaisionally I have to use one of the keys on the ring with the engine key, so when motoring, I just take it out, use the other key, and put it back.  What we also do is remove the key when sailing, and hang it off the kill handle.  That way there is less chance that someone could slide something against the key and break it off in the slot.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."