Chartplotter mounting

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

I am about to mount an additional Navpod and chartplotter on the pedestal guard below the unit that has my speed and depth displays.  Does anyone have any advice on pitfalls to avoid etc.?  Do I need to pull out the wires that run to the units above?
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

amoreau

Hi Jack,  I installed a garmin 176c in the same area.  I wired into the pod that holds the depth and speed.  There is a good connection in there with a good voltage reading.  I used the small mount that clamps onto the pedistal bar.  The chart plotter sits right behind the compass.  I'm not that happy with my selection of the chartplotter though.  In dirct sunlight it is hard to see the maps.  Edson is the name of the mount.  They also do the pedestal and various accessories.
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

Jack Hutteball

Thanks Al, Did you have to drill into the pedestal guard?  I will be mounting a Navpod attached to both sides and am concerned about damaging wiring inside the guard. I had assumed I could wire into the pod above and pick up the power there without running wiring back to the main panel.  Is it easy to fish wire up int the other pod?
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

amoreau

Jack,  I think the wiring would look better if you went into the pedestal guard up to the other pod.  When you install the new pod you will have to be careful of the wiring inside on the guard.  Mine is on the stbd side of pedestal.  However I took the easier way of just drilling a hole in the bottom of the existing pod.  I bought a rubber grommet the dia. of the cable and hole.  I then put a little sealer on the inside of the pod where the wire came through.  It looks pretty good.  A wire through the guard in your case would be more neater looking.  Fishing a wire up the guard should be no problem especially with a coat hanger wire or similiar item..
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

Jack Hutteball

I will give it a shot and be sensative with the drill.  Hopefully the wires won't be near the front of the guard
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington