Bad smells

Previous topic - Next topic

One Love

Can anyone help. I have searched high and low but can not find where I am getting the bad toilet smells in the boat. Any suggestions on where to look?

Reno Viola
mrviola@sympatico.ca

jbstack28

Just one Idea which helped me a lot.  The hose from the head to the holding tank will become saturated with, well you know after a while.  Replace it..  I did and removed all head odors from the cabin.  Depending on the age of your boat, you did not mention, I will probably be due.

Charlie Stackpole
'DESPIDO' #1029

Ken Juul

I would suggest reading what the "Head Mistress" has to say about the subject.  You will find a link at www.catalinaowners.com  I found rearranging the head/sink drain plumbing so I could flush with fresh water really eased the odor problems.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

One Love

Thanks Charlie, the boat is a 1998...hull number 1427, and the hose that you are talking about seems in good shape with no smells. I've even rubeed it and tried to smell anything coming off my hands .... but nothing was apparent. Any other ideas.

Thanks
Reno Viola
mrviola@sympatico.ca

malgase

A couple of thoughts . . .

1)  Have you looked to see that the holding tank vent, which runs through the base of the midship stanchion on the port side, is connected to the fitting coming out of the stanchion base through the deck?  If not connected, your holding tank is venting to the cabin . . . .

2) Similarly, check where the vent line attaches to the top of the tank.

3)  I had some deterioration between the macerator pump and the seacock at the hull.  years of stress on that "coiled" hose led to cracking that was letting waste seep through.  You boat is newer, and may not even have a macerator, but if there it could contribute, as well as the seals on the macerator pump itself.

Michael

Roc

Keep the bilge clean.  Stagnant water in the bilge can start to smell like a sewer and make you think it's the head, when it's not.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Norris Johnson

I flush with fresh water from the Lavatory. I just pull the shower head over to the toliet and fill it with shower nozzle. I don't flip any switches on the pump. This will not conserve water while cruiseing, but it keeps the smell down. At the dock, I'm tied to city water.

Norris Johnson
Mariposa
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Stu Jackson

This article is also posted right on this very C34 Website under FAQs: http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/phall.htm.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

pklein

One more place to check is under the engine.  This area does not drain into the bilge and if it collects water for any reason it could be a source of organic growth.  I try to put a bit of bleach in this area once in a while.

Phill Klein
Andiamo #977
Montrose Harbor - Chicago