Mast Movement

Previous topic - Next topic

Sundance

Sailing this weekend I was experiencing the mast moving forward and aft.  It was blowing about 12 knots with 3-5' waves.  I hadn't seen this before.  The wedges had fallen out earlier this season, is the the reason?  Should the backstay have been tightened to prevent the movement?  It was moving about 1/2 an inch each direction when we were hitting waves.  I guess the wedges would have helped, but it seems they should be there just to center the mast, not take the load when the mast moves.  Any thoughts?
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH

Jeff Kaplan

jeff, my thoughts are that the mast wedges are there for a purpose and should always be in place, put them back and make sure they are secure...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Braxton

The mast wedges, mast step, stays, and shrouds all work as an integrated system.   I would definitely replace the wedges but also check the tension on both your stays as well as all the shrouds.  The shrouds would be easy to overlook as it may seem that they only control side to side motion and tension.   They do however help in forward and back tension as well (although not nearly as much as on the wacky B&R rigs that Hunter and Beneteau use)
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Sundance on October 13, 2008, 04:51:56 AM
Sailing this weekend I was experiencing the mast moving forward and aft.   I hadn't seen this before.    It was moving about 1/2 an inch each direction when we were hitting waves.  I guess the wedges would have helped, but it seems they should be there just to center the mast, not take the load when the mast moves.  Any thoughts?

I edited your post to highlight my question: where was the mast "moving?"  The 1/2 inch seems to indicate at the partners, where the mast passes through the deck.  Yup, that's what the wedges are there for.  Replace them and follow the good advice.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Jeff : I'd make some new wedges and use 6 of them rather than 4.  If you access to a some oak - that's what I used. 
Another option is to use "Spartight" - look in the West Marine catalog. 
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Jeff - One more option is hard rubber wedges available from Rig-Rite.  http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/Mast_wedges.html

Craig

Sundance

Thanks guys, I'll try to find some oak and make some wedges.
Jeff
2001 C34 #1581
"Sundance"
Sandusky, OH