1987 nonskid surface color description

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe and Carol

Can someone tell me the color of the nonskid surface on our 1987, #244.  I'm working some King Starboard
panels into the cockpit and want to match colors.  Thanks!
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Stu Jackson

Joe, just noticed you haven't had an answer.  What color are your decks, beige or gray?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mtullier

Joe and Carol,

I found an epoxy paint on the shelf at West Marine that is close to our beige non-skid on a 1987 Cat 34.  We are currently using this as touch-up.  I used this same paint several years ago for non-skid on a 1981 Catalina 30.  I painted all the non-skid.  It looked great and lasted several years.  I sold the boat about 3-4 years after the non-skid was painted.  The paint never faded or chipped.  Looks great if you take the time to tape off all areas around the non-skid and cut in all the corners.  We even painted the non-skid on the cockpit seats.  Makes washing down much easier with a new surface.  It also minimized the majority of the stains that the old jell-coat would suck up during normal use.  One of the disadvantages to painting non-skid is that you get less grab.  Not significant, but we did notice some difference on a wet deck.

Mike

West Marine Easypoxy - Sandtone, Quart      249649  3518-QT $39.99 USD 
Mike

Ron Hill

Joe : If your deck is gray and you only need a touch up - there's a model paint called Voodoo Gray that will match.  It goes on as a gloss, but looses it's shine in a few weeks.  Color matches. 
Ron, Apache #788

Joe and Carol

Our color appears beige.  And we are considering painting the non skid areas of the cockpit seats.  Thanks for information and specifications.
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Ron Hill

Joe : I've never seen a early C34 (86/87/88/89) with anything, but white anti skid seats and coaming in the cockpit area.  They usually only have colored antiskid on the cockpit floor and walkways on the sides. 
I have always used soft scrub with bleach on the cockpit seats, coaming and they still look great on my 1988 after all of these years.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Joe and Carol

Ron:

We see some gel coat crazing and surface hairline cracks in the seating areas.  We have considered an overlay of some materials, i.e. plasteak, starboard, or painting the non skid surfaces, or repairing the gel coat, or just keeping surfaces clean via scrubbing bubbles brand ( with bleach and mildew treatment ) as you so suggest, and laying over with our cushions.  We use a rug in slip to walk on when entering and exiting the cockpit. 

Our new bimini top will be ready tomorrow!  It extends over the helm seat and should provide more UV protection for the gray hair. Totally braced to the cockpit dodger and stern rails without straps in the way we will really appreciate the new shade.

Carol and I will look around the Annapolis Boat Show next week for more idea improvements to our sailboat.  Thanks for your input.
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Lance Jones

Ron,
Who makes Voodoo Gray and where can I get it?

Cheers!

Lance
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : It's on the boat so I can't tell you who makes it, but go to a hobby shop that sells models and model paint and they should have it. 
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Johnson

Ron, is it Testors Canadian Voodoo Gray model paint?

http://www.testors.com/category/136303/Federal_Standard_Colors

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

mtullier

Easypoxy one part
Mike

mtullier

Mike