Oil lamps

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

I have done a search and found that at least several have installed oil lamps in your cabin. We had an oil lamp in out 27 and am now looking to add one on Mariah III.  Stu, I note that you have a trawler lamp which is what I am considering.  Assuming it is over the table, how did you mount/hang it?  Is it "right sized" for the boat?  Anyone have any do's or don'ts on lamps or installation?

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Craig Illman

Jack - On Espresso, a PO had attached a teak winch pad to the cabintop (with 5200?) and used a brass eye strap to attach the lamp. You can come see on Tuesday. Are you looking for more light, saving power or ambience?

Craig

Jack Hutteball

Craig, we enjoy the ambiance and the warm light on a cool evening, like many we have had this summer.  I note however that the last 10 days have been spectacular here.  Only wished we could have been out on the boat!!!
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Stu Jackson

Jack, we like the large trawler lamp.  Hung on a snap clip mounted to the wood trim around the saloon hatch.  Bottom is held by bungee cord with two hook ends, eye bolt under edge of indent in table, which  keeps it from swinging when sailing and stays pretty upright visually.

After living with this one, anything smaller would look tiny.  Cory didn't like it at first, so we took it off, (not for long - I snuck it back!) but are very glad it's been back for the past 9 years.  Get extra wicks.  It's a nifty little cabin heater in 50 degree weather, too :D!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

I used a teak pad with 4200 and 3 -3/4 brass screws.  The cuddy lamp is then screwed into the teak.  I was worried about burning the cabin top without the teak pad.  I thought the cuddy might be too small but after installing it I think it's perfect.
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Bob K

Our boat came with a lamp, but we never used it because I was afraid of black soot above the lamp. Are we needlessly missing out?
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Bob : You need a smoke bell above the lamp if you don't have one.

Guys : I have 3 oil lamps on board.  A cutty lamp like Ricks over the sink area, another on the Vberth bulk head wall and a third one that sits on the dinette table
With all that said - now that I have a larger house bank and with the advent of LED bulbs, I believe the NEED for oil lamps (expext for show) has diminished greatly!!
A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Johnson

Bob,

I've got an oil lamp in the v-berth, the one above the table and I'm going to add one in the aft cabin (Harnisch Cabin Lamp, similar to the E.S. Sorensen Ship's Lamp).  Nice warm glow, uses no power and as Stu said, they work great as a heater on those chilly nights. I looked long and had before I found a Den Haan Cuddy I could afford, but the following link had a pretty fair price on that and other lamps.

Cheers,

Rick

http://www.oillampman.com/denhaan/cuddy.htm
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ken Juul

I have a pair of Yacht Lamps by Weems & Plath.  One mounted on the mast over the table, the other on the forward bulkhead over the port settee.  Great ambiance, but barely enough light to read.  PITA to keep polished
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jack Hutteball

Thanks for the input guys.  I don't have the wood hatch surround like the mark I boats, but I do have acorn nuts on the backing plate for the turning block on the deck above that is almost centered over the table.   Thought I might be able to replace one of the acorn nuts with nut with a built in hook if I can find the right size.  WM has some in their catalog.  Bungee cord is a good idea Stu.  Ruth is concerned about it will hang when we are sailing.

Ken, I hear you about keeping the brass polished, chimmey cleaned etc, but I don't have all that brightwork on the outside of our boat, so I have to have something to do. :D

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Is it feasible to use diesel fuel for lamp oil or is this a no no?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Allan.SVCarina

A no no to use diesel, will not burn well and create too much smoke.  Paraffin lamp oil works best and is readily available.  You could possibly use kerosene, but be sure to keep the area well ventilated.
Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)

Ron Hill

Mike : I agree with Allan - Don't use diesel!! 
I've found that paraffin wax oil is a reasonable price if you purchase it in the gallon+ size jug (WestMarine or Defender)
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

jack, #219 came with 2 "weems&plath" ship lanterns which i have gimble mounted on both sides of the cabin leading into the v-berth. i only use their lantern oil which gives a long, no soot burn. regardless which lamp you go with, look into weems oil, which can be bought a wm or other marine suppliers. as mentioned above, burning diesel fuel is a no-no...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Mike B

We just fired up our oil lamp last weekend.  After a little time the hook hanger mounted into cabintop and the cabintop itself were very hot to the touch.  How much heat can the cabintop be exposed to without problems?

I have seen a lot of lamps hung directly from the cabintop without any type of mounting pad.  Is this OK?  Do I have to worry about heat?

Thanks,
Mike