Engine Help (Hull 233)...

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

Hey Fellow Catalina 34 owners;

I need some help determining which engine is installed in my '86, C34, Hull 233...I was told it's a Universal 25...But when attempting to order a folding prop, found out there are 3 models of the Universal 25, all with different horse power ratings...

The engine does not have a label plate on it which specifies the model, and the original owner/factory left the information blank in the owners manual...I have looked on the engine to try and find the serial number, but could not; I did find lots of numbers which I believe are  individual part numbers, not the serial number.

I also e-mail Robert @ Catalina for help but have not received a response...

Can anyone tell me if there is a way of determining which model I have by looking at the engine???  i.e. is the water pump, oil filter, or any other part in a different location on the different models???

Or can anyone tell me EXACTLY where to find the serial number???

Thanks for your help,
Tom

SteveLyle

I know of two models that Catalina used in the 34, the M-25, 3 cyl 21 hp, and the M-25XP, 3 cyl, 23? or 25? hp.  The M-25XP is a bored out M-25, with the stronger alternator bracket, and a larger (3") heat exchanger.  I believe that the M-25xp was used in the third year or so.  If your engine is original, it should be the M-25.

Stu Jackson

Our #224 has the M-25.  Steve's right:  if you have the 2 inch heat exchanger, it's an M-25.  You may have the newer alternator bracket since many folks did that necessary mod.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fulvio

Try this: Universal Engine Identification

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

Stu Jackson

It's just aft of the thermostat housing, in the forward section of the engine where you add oil.  It is a label that has the model number and serial number.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."