Summer 2009 Gulf Islands Rendezvous

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig Illman

I'm posting this to see if our peers in the Vancouver area are interested in an informal rendezvous next summer somewhere in the Gulf Islands. I suppose a dock facilitates things, but requires reservations and commitments. Places that come to mind are: Ganges, Telegraph Harbor on Thetis, Montague Harbor, or Silva Bay. Then, there are dates to consider. Do we try for early July to take advantage of Canada Day & US Independence Day or wait for possibly better weather later?

I saw a lot of C34's this year on our trip to Princess Louisa and there's fairly good participation on the forum from members in B.C. It seems like a natural to me.

Any interest?

Craig

Craig Illman

Ok, before someone else lets me know, I see Westerly Yachts, from Vancouver, has an All Catalina rendezvous scheduled for 5/28-5/30 at Telegraph Harbor on Thetis Island. I don't think I could get from Anacortes to Telegraph Harbor in a single day without leaving VERY early. That weekend probably wouldn't be practical for us lower Salish Sea boaters.

Craig

wind dancer

We're planning a San Juan/Gulf Islands/Victoria trip, leaving July 4th and would be interested in meeting up at some point.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Hawk

Craig,

Was just reading this and we should keep the lines open to see if something might work..........
Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Peter Lewis

Westerly Yachts just sent regrets that they will not be organizing a Catalina rendezvous in 2009.  Perhaps we should revisit the idea of a Fleet 5 / BC informal rendezvous.  The Catalina rendezvous has traditionally been in mid-late May, but we'd probably get more boats and better weather in July or August.

Peter

Craig Illman

Our summer plans haven't firmed up yet, but I'm thinking about Montague Harbor July 5th & 6th. We need to stay in the US on the 4th for the pyrotechnics.

http://yachtpals.com/montague-harbour

Craig

wind dancer

That might work for us.  Was planning on heading over to Butchart that week some time, and have plans in the San Juans the following week.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Peter Lewis

Montague Harbour is always a great place to visit, and has good onshore facilities (Picnic areas, Pub bus, Marina), but it will be difficult to keep the fleet close together.  Parks Canada doesn't allow rafting on the mooring buoys.  Perhaps we should consider other possible venues, where at least we can keep the C34s within hailing distance.  Sucia? Winter Cove? Other ideas?

Ray & Sandy Erps

We're headed up the July 4th weekend as well, although we may anchor up in the San Juans to try and catch one of the fireworks shows, which would put us in the Gulf Islands on the 5th.

Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Jeff Tancock

Montague has lots of room to anchor and raft. The best spot would be in the south/west part of the harbour. There are other choices depending on the number of boats. It's my stomping grounds so I am good for some suggestions if needed. It will likely be busy on the water that weekend.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Tom Clay

We are heading up to the Gulf Islands from Olympia, Wa. on June 18th, returning the weekend of July 4th. Currently we plan on travelling as far North as Nanaimo. We may extend the vacation a couple days if there is a BC/Fleet 5 rendezvous in the central to southern Gulf Islands. We have Montague Harbour circled as a place to anchor and spend some time on the trip.

Any suggestions from our BC neighbors on anchorages that must be visited while in the Gulf Islands. This will be our second trip up, we throughly enjoyed the first trip but it was not long enough, it seems the trips never are.
Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.

Jeff Tancock

There are plenty of spots. Just depends on what you are looking for. Of course, you know how the saying goes......if I tell you about the best spots I will have to put out a contract on you! Kidding aside PM me if you want any help with an itinerary.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Craig Illman

We're still planning on Montague for the evenings of July 5th & 6th. When it gets closer, we'll come up with a communication plan, like monitoring a VHF chanel or a mobile phone number. It's a long run from Anacortes, but we made it there in about nine hours last year.

Craig

Craig Illman

I'm still planning on arriving at Montague on the evening of July 5th and staying until the 7th. If anyone else is interesting in meeting up, send me a "personal message" and we'll establish a communication plan with VHF and or mobile phones.

Craig