Universal 25XP fresh wtr pump

Previous topic - Next topic

karista

My fresh water cooling pump froze-up yesterday while out motoring on the Gulf, required to be towed in. There was absolutely no sign of wear and no symptoms (loss of cooling efficiency). I purchased a new Universal pump, part #300203 from the local Universal dealer at a cost of $219. Of interest to this group maybe the fact that the new pump came in a sealed bag with a Kubota label and part number. The kubota number is 15443-73030 and I am sure is a lot cheaper if bought from a Kubota dealer.

karista

Ron
After I installed the pump that I paid $219 at the Universal dealer. I went to the local Kubota dealer , their price here was $97.10, it was the exact same pump in the exact same bag. It is truly sad that the prices are doubled by the marine dealers. A word of thanks to you for one of your earlier columns outlining a rather simple procedure to purge the air after draining the coolant. It worked perfectly and quickly in purging the air from the lines.

dsavary

Ron how do you get the Kubota number for our engines. I have the M-35. I live only 20 miles from a Kubota dealer but they do not have a cross reference to Universal models and can't order parts without the Kubota number. Thanks. :confused:

Stu Jackson

Bernd,

Another consideration is belt tension.  I believe it was covered exhaustively in the Tech Notes.  Too tight can end up frying the pump.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fulvio

...not only did I pay the full price for that water pump over a year ago, I just bought 2 new glow plugs the other week for $56 each, a new thermostat housing, and a zinc.  :(

Well, good to know for the next few purchases.

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

Fulvio

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B. Mueller,   1990, #1012:
                                                  Ron
A word of thanks to you for one of your earlier columns outlining a rather simple procedure to purge the air after draining the coolant. It worked perfectly and quickly in purging the air from the lines.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where is the column mentioned above?  Thanks!

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

Stu Jackson

Fulvio

Use the Message Board SEARCH engine.  Type in coolant.  21 hits.  October 30, 2001 from Ron Hill.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."