Dinette Table - can't lower

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Madden

I have a 2007 C34 MK II and cannot get my dinette table to lower (to use in the sleep position.)  there is a screw clamp that i have loosened.  it appears that the narrower top sleeve should slide into the lower wider sleeve, but i can't get mine to move at all.  i am guessing its either stuck (since never used) or even bent or off center a bit.  i'm thinking a few hammer taps on the bottom column with the table upside down might help.  but first i am wondering if anyone has run into this problem or has solutions.  thanks so much.

tommyt

When mine has stuck, I can usually get it to go with a small twist to loosen it up first. When depressing it, it is critical that you get weight directly above the post (awkward) to get it down.

If I remember correctly, it is also warned NOT to lubricate it.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance

Steve Sayian

I found that removing the table and then pushing the post down is easier.  Getting the table out of the way affords you better leverage on the post.  Just make sure you tighten the screw before letting go of the post or you'll loose your front teeth!.

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Joe Kern

Salon Table Pedestal - Expensive Lesson
« on: September 25, 2006, 05:59:34 PM » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Talked to Catalina today about my salon table pedestal getting stiff and hard to move.  This weekend it basically got stuck in the lower position.  It won't move no matter what I have tried

DO NOT LUBRICATE YOUR PEDESTAL is the lesson.  They said the materials which came with the boat say that but I never saw it.  Art at Forespar who makes the pedestal says any lubrication whether silicone, dry lubricant, WD40 or whatever totally destroys the innards after some time.  That and pushing down with any angle can cause problems.  He also said the end of the pedestal assembly is supposed to be expoxied to the flange mounted on the cabin sole to prevent it from being pushed down into the hull.  Not sure mine ever was which may be why the table always seemed a little low.

So my $330 lesson is to not lubricate.  Also, I think when I lower the table I might simply remove the table top and then push down on the piston and reattach the table top when it is down.

Just FYI 

Report to moderator    12.16.33.89 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Wayne

Mine was really difficult to move also.  My dealer came aboard and lowered it be grabbing one end of the table with each hand (leaning over the table).  Keeping his weight centered over the column, he rocked back and forth a little, twisted a little, and it lowered.  He needed to work it all the way down  Sprang back up more or less on its own.  I did have the 'do not lubricate' label on mine.  Basically, we never need to lower the table; I just did so as part of testing everything out.  I think it is a pretty lousy system . . .
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

tonywright

I had the same problem. Try in this order.

1) Make sure that you push down firmly, but only with your weight centered directly over the tube. 

2) Remove the table top and try again.

3) Remove the base, and place the assembly (without table top) upside down on the dock. Slowly and surely press down. (When I did this, some fingernail parings left by the PO fell out!  Presumably this prevents the normal smooth motion).

Work it a number of times until you have a smooth functioning piston, and then reinstall. When you do so, check to see if the table is ideally located on the piston to clear the bunks. Mine wasn't, so it bumped against the mast support before being properly aligned with the bunks. Moving it over an inch or so helped greatly, and it now looks properly aligned in the fully raised position.  This exercise teaches you a lot how the piston works, and how much pressure to apply.

Work the table every couple of weeks to keep it working smoothly. And it bears repeating (again):do not lubricate!

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Tom Madden

Thank you for all the input.  thanks to the input i received i finally got the dinette table to work. i was able to get it down by applying pressure to the table directly above the column and gently (but firmly) wiggling it down.  again, thanks so much.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

The P O of my boat replaced the spring loaded post with a solid post similar to the type used by campers and motorhomes where you just lift the table off the post, pull the post out of the floor socket, lay the table into the slots provided and store the post under the table. It's been working great for me.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net