Overflow Tank

Previous topic - Next topic

billhatter

Ron

After reading information in Tech Notes, I discovered that I do not have an overflow tank on my boat, even though the manual states that if you have a water heater it might be a good idea to have an overflow tank.  I shall install the "Ron Hill Rubber Maid "qt bottle on my next trip. I know to cut the tubing at an angle to avoid a vacuum. Do I put some coolant in the qt bottle to begin with? Also, I assume that you seal the top with silicone where the tubing goes through the cap.

Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Hull # 459
Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Hull #459

Ron Hill

Bill : On the coolant recovery bottle - Fill it about 1/3 full of coolant.  It will have to cold/hot/cold cycle 3 or 4 times to get all of the air out of the system.  You don't have to seal the top.  Just put the hose into the bottle so it sits on the bottom.  Let the bottle be even or lower than the outlet on the reservoir.  Just make sure that the lower third(the botton of the tube) is in coolant.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Bill : I forgot one important item.  After you've stabilized the coolant (gotton out all of the air bubbles) NEVER open the cap to check the coolant level.  All you'll have to do is look at the level in the recovery bottle!!   :clap
Ron, Apache #788