Cetol - brightwork

Previous topic - Next topic

rappareems

I bought my boat last Spring and am planning on redoing the  brightwork this season. I need to go over "original" cetol.  I would like to get rid of the "orange" cast and have seen a comment regarding adding some Petit's mohogany to bring out a richer color.  Has anyone used the new cetol that talks of an "oiled" look? That is what I would like to achieve. If I redo the cetol, do I need to take the brightwork down to the wood?
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Stu Jackson

Mark

This is a new one.  Hadn't heard about adding anything to cetol. Where did you "hear it?"

I assume you've already done the searches on both the C34 Message Board and the C34 website on "cetol."  Lots of ideas already posted.

Before you mix anything else with the cetol, (or anything else for that matter) it would be reasonable to check with the manufacture(s) to find out if it will work.  As far as I know, Cetol only has two finishes, see previous posts via the search engine(s).

One of the major advantages of cetol over varnish is that you can "paint" right over it.  This assumes that there're no "black" spots underneath the existing coats, which would mean that the "seal" is gone.  If so, just sand down that area, and "paint" over it with new cetol.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rappareems

Stu

On one of the "Projects" pages on Brightwork Refinishing, the owner of "Cat Tails" added a "gob" of Pettit Red Mahogany Past Wood Filler #7666 to a can of Sikkens Cetol Marine SRD translucent satin. I con't remember where I saw the information regarding the new "oiled" look finish cetol.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Stu Jackson

Mark

The Message Board search under the subject "Exterior Teak" is where the two types of cetol are described.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."