Turnbuckle covers

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Finally removed my old plastic ones when I put the mast back up. The issue is whether to forget them altogether or put on the stainless, alum, plastic or leather ones. I sent the Garhaure SS ones back since they were too short and did not cover the studs. The riggers don't seem to like them at all since they cover the turnbackles allowing bad things to happen in the wet dark. They look nice but properly placed pins eliminate snagging anyway. What are people's thoughts and does anyone like the polyester or leather ones that do not require removal of the newly tuned turnbuckles? Thanks
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Jon Schneider

Run away from anything that covers your turnbuckles.  Anyway, turnbuckles are a thing of nautical beauty ;)
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

"...newly tuned turnbuckles..." will sooner, rather than later, need to be adjusted after sailing, so keep the covers off.  Covers tend to degrade the material underneath.  We carefully turn our cotter pins, so no snags and no covers.  I agree with Jon, they look darn good, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve Sayian

I agree with turnbuckles 'coming out of the cover'.

Trouble with the MK IIs is that they have bronze colored cylindrical turnbuckles and are basically ugly.  If they were chrome covered bronze, they would be ok.
I removed my stainless covers because I had major crud in the threads and 5 of the 8 turnbuckles would just barely turn.

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Ron Hill

Cliff : I think that you are getting a resounding message of  "don't put covers on the turnbuckles"!! 
I have a 150% Genoa and it can't hit the turnbuckles.  I don't even have have tap on them for the past 20 years!  Also make sure that the cotter pins are not sticking out and you'll be OK - nothing will snag. 
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

I am convinced !! Catalinas do come from the factory with them on, however............no?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Mark Elkin

Sorry I'm late to this party....

I removed all covers over all turnbuckles a couple years ago, when one lifeline turnbuckle broke.  It wasn't even fully covered, just the cotter pins were wrapped over.

So now all turnbuckles are full exposed.  And I've replace all lifeline and shroud "standard" cotter pins with ring style pins -- no sharp points to snag anything (sails, clothing, toes, etc).
Mark S Elkin