Flooring for older boats

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Where can it be obtained for a 1990 boat?
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Jon Schneider

It sounds like you're looking for pre-cut flooring.  I know that CLR Marine has a synthetic version pre-cut for the C36, but I bet they also have a pattern for the C34.  CY will definitely do this for you.  Or you can special order 3/8" sheets from just about any lumber yard.  Frankly, unless your sole is really damaged, I think it might be easier just to refinish the existing stock.  I did, and it looks fantastic despite some pre-existing dings (which is why they call it a pre-owned boat). 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Jeff Kaplan

cliff, when i replaced the sole on #219, 3 seasons ago, the only place i could find 3/8" teak/holly was at a company in fl. called world panel products, worldpanel.com., 561-840-0500. see if you can find it locally, i tried all the lumber yards in new england, all had 1/4" and 1/2", but you need the 3/8. world panel has 2 grades, get the better. you can call catalina, but you will be required to ship your old sole back for them to cut. too costly from the east coast. when you get the wood, find a master millwright to cut it as there is a bevel to the edges and since you will spend a lot to purchase, get it cut right. once cut, there are many steps to finish the wood before re-install...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Stu Jackson

Cliff, do a search on "teak and holly" (WITH the quotation marks).  There are a number of discussions about sources as well as finishes.  [As I've noted a number of times before, because of the nature of the search engine, I can't do a search and then simply post the URL - so you'll just have to try it yourself.]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

crieders

prh77

I am with Jon...I stripped and refinished my panels and they looked great despite numerous dings and delaminations.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

Jeff Kaplan

if i could have refinished my sole i would have, however, when i bought the boat, the sole was delaminating and very spongy and i bought her knowing it needed to be replace it.  very costly and quite a bit of work, but the look of a new sole, whether refinished or replaced, makes the boat look great. cliff, if you can refinish the sole go for it, but if its beyond that, replace it. whichever way, its a huge improvement...jeff

Ron Hill

Cliff : Jeff hit the nail on the head - it's difficult to find 3/8" Teak & Holly sole anymore.  Most of the new stuff is metric sizes.   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

dmcmd

I replaced the sole on Inspiration five years ago.  I could not find the 3/8" teak/holly anywhere in New England.  I used the 1/4" and it has worked fine.  The slight step down is not noticeable.  I finished them with "Ultimate Sole" and they have not required any maintenance.  A great winter project.  Worth the effort.  Makes the cabin look like new.
Dennis  'Inspiration' 1986 #221, tall rig, fin keel, Hampton, Va

David Urscheler

Timely subject. Just pulled my floorboards in order to replace. They''ve already been sanded and re-finished and are through the veneer in some places. Shell Lumber in Miami sells 1/4" sheets for $135.00. In order to get the 3/8" thickness, you glue 1/8" Luan door skin to the bottom with contact cement. After cutting, seal the undersides with West epoxy or Gluvit to prevent future delamination. Personally, I prefer wood, but if you're not too handy, CLR Marine sells a pre-cut synthetic set for $1,100.00. Your choice.

Jeff Kaplan

cliff, i posted that world panel sold the 3/8" teak holly, and 4 years ago they sold it that way. i just checked their site and found out that ron stated it correctly, it is now sold by the mm. 3/8" is = to 9.5mm and worldpanel sells that size,9mm, in two grades, get the better if you go this way. before i found this company, i too thought of getting a 1/4" piece and glueing on a 1/8" panel of luan board, but when i presented this to the millwright, he said it won't last, would delaminate in time, and he wouldn't do the job that way. it might last, but if you are going to undertake replacement, instead of refinishing, this is only my opinion, but i would contact worldpanel.com and purchase 9mm 4x8 sheet, you will need 2, and do it right. just my thoughts...jeff

crieders

I found that Cruising Concepts will send me new pieces if I send them the old ones. Not cheap but its one approach.  They say they have templates but they still need the the old piece.  For the aft cabin section, they want 75 dollars plus shipping. The other approach is to order a 4 by 8 sheet from Fla and have someone up here cut it.

Jon Schneider

$75 seems like a pretty good deal for a custom-cut piece.  A 5x8 sheet is $200+. I just ordered new deadlights from Cruising Concepts, and I have to say I'm disappointed that he (seems like a one-person operation) couldn't give me a delivery date, but has already charged my CC.  He told me to call him back in June to try to motivate him to cut the pieces.  I guess the economy hasn't affected him yet.  Pleasant to talk to, but I find this pre-charge behavior outrageously slimy.  BTW, Catalina used to (maybe still does) get its sole material from: H&L Marine Woodwork, 2965 E. Harcourt, Rancho Dominguez CA 90221; (323) 636-1718.  I don't believe they have a website.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Jeff Kaplan

cliff, are you looking to replace the entire sole or just a section? i worked with a local lumber yard who didn't mind me having the panels shipped to their yard, where their  millwright cut it for me. if you are very skilled with a saw, you can probably do it yourself, but for the price you pay for each sheet of teak/holly, i wanted a pro to cut it. there is a beveled edge all around that must be cut correctly. he used the old sole to line up so all the holly stripes are straight. again, if you do the entire sole, you need 2 sheets...jeff

crieders

I got a good price from CC but I think its better to buy an entire sheet and have a local guy cut a piece or two for me