Crack in hull, liner or merely "tab" left over

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

I noticed in foward bilge what looked to be like 2 or 3 vertical cracks in the liner from the botttom of the bilge upward. I also notice a hairline crack in the paint horozontally on the keel a bit below the same level. My first thought was that when the mast was removed for the first time in 17 years perhaps it was stuck and took part of the boat with it. The head guy in the yard, whom I think is very good, said it was just left over "tab" from the fiberglass when the boat was built. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing. Perhaps I should  take a photo of it and post it. The strange thing is that I never noticed this before.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Jon Schneider

Not that this will be any more comforting, but it may be that the cracks have been there for a while, but while the rig is tensioned, they remain closed and pretty much invisible. I doubt it's serious, but if the bilge is dry, now might be a good time to fill them with epoxy or Capt Tolley's.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

crieders

they don't seem to go "thru" to anywhere.  But I guess thats the point; are there incompleted fiberglass "tabs" as the resident yard expert called them. See anything like that behind the liner of other boats?

Stu Jackson

Cliff, I have raw edges all over in "hidden" spots.  You're right, a picture really would help us out here to help you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

crieders

Here is a photo that you requested.

Ron Hill

Cliff : It looks to me like the factory didn't get a piece of the glass mat to lie down before it glass set - AKA tab left over.
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

That makes me feel alot better.  I just wanted to be sure that it was not structural

tonywright

But have you thought about putting some protection around those wires going through that rather sharp-edged looking hole? :shock:

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

crieders

They are transducer wires for the boat speed indicator and they hang without any tension.

Ron Hill

Cliff : Take Tony's suggestion and take some hose and keep the wires from touching the hole that they go thru.  Always use chaff guard to protect all wires that go thru "holes" or they WILL chafe.   A tip. 
Ron, Apache #788

crieders