Cruising Spinnaker - Recommendations

Previous topic - Next topic

evanolst

I have a 2007 Mark II. I am considering a cruising spinnaker. I have had conflicting quotes from sail makers - one has a 42' luff one a 46'. The Catalina brochure shows the I measurement as 46'. Do any current owners have any recommendations on size, brand and price from your experience's?

Also for the sheet blocks - are blocks on the aft end of the outboard track far enough aft for the sheets. Or do people mount blocks on the aft corner of the boat.

Ron Hill

Evan : The luff length of my 150% Genoa is 46' 7 1/2" for a standard rig.
On the sheet line turning blocks, I use a separate swivelling block that I attach to the stern cleats with a caribener snap shackle.  When the spinnaker gets doused, the blocks are taken off the cleats. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

BJeansson

Sail question from a Newbie

What would the consequences be to use a S-Spinnaker that has a shorter L measurement but within the max girth of 24'?
SL-37 and Foot 23

Secondly, I see that Ron listed his 150% Genoa's luff length at 46' 7 1/2".
I have a 155% Genoa (I think based on measurement) but the Luff is only listed as 44', Leach 42.5', Foot 20.8', does that make sense?

I'm trying to determine if I have a SR or TR as the PO did not know and Catalina does not have any records.
I have tried to measure but don't know for sure - I think it is a SR based on the height of the Main Halyard which I did measure.

Thank you in advance.

Bo Jeansson
1990 1.25 #1024 WK M35
Rock Hall, MD
Bo Jeansson
1990 MK 1.25 #1024 TR/WK M35
Rock Hall, MD

Dave DeAre

Evan, I have a 2002 MK 11 #1626 with a Neil Pryde cruising spinnaker. According to the design sheet that came with it, the measurements are:
Luff 43.25", Leech 38.8", Foot 22.5". My boat has a pair of blocks on the outside track that I use for the spinnaker, I have blocks on the inside track that are used almost exclusively for the genoa sheets. The spinnaker is tacked on the anchor ring on the bowsprit of the boat. This sail was measured to allow participation in the Chicago to Mackinac race so should be correct for my sail.

The 2004 C-34 spec sheet shows the I measurement to be  44' for standard rig, 46' for tall rig. I was told that all roller furling main boats were tall rig.
Not sure this is  correct, but mine is a roller furling main-tall rig. Hope this helps!
Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago

Jim Hardesty

QuoteThe 2004 C-34 spec sheet shows the I measurement to be  44' for standard rig, 46' for tall rig. I was told that all roller furling main boats were tall rig.
Not sure this is  correct, but mine is a roller furling main-tall rig.

I always thought Shamrock hull 1570 furling main was a standard rig, 44'.  From this information I may have been mistaken.  I've never measured the mast, will do that in the spring for my own curiosity.  Looked through my commissioning papers and spec sheets, they really didn't say.  Only as standard furling mast.
IMHO  As far as the size of the sail actual measurements on the boat should be made before buying a sail.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Robert Mann

My cruising spinnaker came from Cruising Direct, now North Direct.  I have never really solved the issue of the tack downhaul satisfactorily.  As you can see from the photos the forestay attachment is cluttered, and the logical place to attach a bail is not really accessible.  I don't like to attach the turning block to the anchor crane as the sail puts an upwards force on a fitting that is meant to carry a downwards force.  this leaves a wire bridle with a shock cord of some kind, forward of the roller furling.  Does anyone have a good arrangement for this?  Mk I boats have considerably more room on the bow, as far as i can see.
Catalina 34 MkII, Indigostar, 2002 no 1622, Tall Rig, M35-BC

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI have never really solved the issue of the tack downhaul satisfactorily.

I'm not happy with attaching it to the anchor bail, but that's what I do.  Gives me one more reason to take the spinnaker down before the wind builds.  There have been some good discussions and projects here on improving/beefing up the anchor roller.  My plan is if I ever have the need to get into the area add a rod or wire from the anchor roller to the bow, dolphin striker?, to take the extra load of the spinnaker.
Another plan is to add a boom-sprint and furling spinnaker after I win the lottery. 

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Jim : On a keel stepped mast (MK I) there is a black tape in the sail slot (below deck) near the keel step that has the hull number inscribed. I also remember that that tape also indicated that it is a standard or a tall rig.  Don't know if Catalina continued that with the MKII or not?? 

I wrote this up in the Mainsheet tech notes!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788