Companion Way Doors

Previous topic - Next topic

jmnpe

I have done the same thing that Tom is talking about, and it works very well. Once you prevent the companionway hatch from moving, the boards automatically stay in place. :clap

John
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728

Momentum M

Hi guys...I ordered these doors at the Strictly Sail in Miami a few weeks ago...to be delivered in the spring 'cause we have quite a bit of snow this year and I have to supply them a "print" of my existing panels (3)...that is a full size drawing of them... so that they'll fit well.
Now...as I don't have access to the boat 'till spring...so I still have time to cancel...
I'd like to get the real feedback on the doors.  Above there's a couple of guys that have them so it would be nice to hear there comments!!!
If they would have known of the end result....would they have still purchased them?
Do they like them...a bit...a bit more...or a whole lot?  Do they look good?
Are you satisfied of the quality, the finish, etc...

Your comments would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

wilsonlb

A broom handle cut to the appropriate length wedged between the companionway frame and the lip of the sliding hatch prevents the hatch from moving backwards - and thus the hatch boards from being lifted.  Thus, a secure, inside "lock" that can be removed in less than a second if necessary.

Tom Clay

The barrel bolt installation to secure the sliding hatch from inside the boat.
Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.

anaisdog

is that a particular metal or just hardware store stainless?  thanks
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Rortega46

I have a similar install but attached the barrel bolt to the sliding hatch and drilled a hole in the side of the cabin top.  The SS barrel bolt came from Zarcor.  This would not stop someone determined to open the hatch while I am aboard, but will cause extra noise and slow an intruder down so I have time to react.
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

anaisdog

i am thinking about doing lacing instead.  i need something that will stop someone and yes, i do live in a bad neighborhood.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI ordered these doors at the Strictly Sail

Were they Zucor?  If so they offer a combination lock.  From the inside you can just move that to lock the doors and sliding hatch.  To that I drilled a hole and use a pin, like a grenade pin, to lock the doors and hatch.  Isn't real strong, not crowbar safe, but good enough for where I go. 

Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

anaisdog

where are you buying zurcor from?  thanks

Jim Hardesty

Quotewhere are you buying zurcor from?

I bought direct from Zucor, was a few years ago, think I got a boat show special price.  I like them.  If you want can post some pictures.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

anaisdog

please do post.  thanks.  there is a member of my club who keeps coming onboard my boat, when i'm there alone so i need to start locking it.

Rortega46

Love my Zarcor doors.  They will keep your unwanted visitor out.
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Rortega46

Here's a pic of the doors and combination lock from the cockpit.
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Jim Hardesty

Here are pictures of the way I lock my doors from the inside.  Also is my storage system for storing the screen/window not being used, plywood with a spacer glued to fit.  I store it using the same shock cord as the OEM drop boards.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

anaisdog

oh, i wasn't thinking about changing out the doors, just locking the boards and sliding hatch