Did you replace your standing rigging and lifelines? Dodger?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Arck - Past C34IA Commodore

Hi, Everyone

Well, it's time to replace our standing rigging and lifelines, per our rigger.  If you've done it, who did it for you and what else did you do at the time (replaced VHF cable, wind speed instrument, etc)?  Was your mast taken down, and would you use the rigger or yard again? 

Also, if you've replaced your dodger, I'd appreciate knowing who did it and how happy you are with it.  Did you have anything special done (extra-thick windows, window in top to see the sails, etc.)?

Thanks,
Jon

Craig Illman

Jon - I'll respond to the first half. Yes, pulled the stick. Replaced all the wiring, steaming light, anchor light, & vhf antenna. I had quotes beforehand. I used WM rigging services in Seattle. We scheduled a date, they had all the pieces staged. I removed all the stays, except the forestay through the furler. The mast came out at 2pm on a Tuesday. I delivered the old rigging by 5pm. They were back to the yard the next afternoon. They had to order one piece and it was back by the next morning. Mast went back in at 2pm on Thursday with the low tide. I also did the ball bearing masthead sheaves.

Craig

Rick Allen

Jon, we had the stick pulled at KKMII in May 07 for new standing rigging.

Pictures are here at my brothers site:
http://public.fotki.com/randypictures/painkiller-1/out-comes-the-mast/

While the mast was out, we replaced all the mast lighting, windex, ST60 wind indicator and VHF antenna.  We also added a new Harken Roller Furler to replace the old Hood unit.  KKMI's original estimate was 2500.00 for the rigging only. (including dockside tuning). What they did not include was some extra labor, crane time and mast storage.  They ended up being around 3000.00. and their work was satisfactory.  I'll be more than happy to answer any questions for you if you call me at nine one six 718 3789.

Rick

Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

Jon Arck - Past C34IA Commodore

Rick,

Great pics!  Thanks for the info.  We'll likely get the rigging replaced at the Boatyard at Grand Marina
(formerly, Mariner's Boatyard), where Tweety Bird was commissioned and where we get the bottom done every other year.