Looking for a 1992-2002 C34 in Southern California

Previous topic - Next topic

RABushnell

I sold my 1988 C30 within the last year and am very keen on buying a newer C34. My problem is that there seem to be very few on the market in Southern California.  I appreciate that they're such great boats that no one wants to part with them. However, I'm convinced that someone--somewhere--in Southern California is looking to move up to a larger or newer boat.   The few boats that do come up for sale, always seem to be handled by brokers and are outrageously high priced or are coming off of charter service and are beat all to heck, or both.  Any thoughts as to why there are so few on the market and how I might make direct contact  with a prospective seller? I figure this is the best forum for that but if there are other ways to do it, I'd appreciate any comments or suggestion on how to find that "right" boat.  I'm interested in a standard rig with a fin keel, a well maintained diesel with low hours. 

Also, any tips on what to look for in a C34 of that vintage (1992-2002) would be most appreciated. Things to look for in inspecting a  boat for sale and things that will likely  need to be addressed after purchase.  N.B. I read with interest the comments about what to look for on C34s from the 1980's but don't know how much of that applies to the slightly newer boats of the 1990's and early 2000's.

I sail out of Channel Island Harbor, Oxnard, California

Thanks,

Bob Bushnell (a new member and, hopefully soon, a fellow C34 owner and seafarer)

Jon Schneider

I'll play the role usually reserved for Stu by suggesting that you do a search on "buying advice" or something related.  About a month ago, several of us offered advice to a guy who was looking at '88-'89 vintage C34s here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3981.msg22563#msg22563.  I think much of that advice would be applicable to pretty much any vintage of used C34s. 

The other thing you should realize is that your production time horizon spans two models.  The '92-'94 years are Mark 1.5s.  The dot-five is an owner-generated invention to indicate an open-transom Mark I model (i.e., other than the open-transom, there are no other significant differences between a Mk I and a 1.5).  Late in 1994 (but I think '95 model year), CY started offering the Mark II.  Since I have a Mark 1.5, I can't speak intelligently about the Mk II (there are those who might see the oxymoron in juxtaposing me and intelligence in any context, nevertheless...), so you should also search on differences between the models.  At some point, but I don't think at the onset, CY reverted back to a deck-stepped mast (far superior in my estimation for coastal cruising).  Engines also changed (up-powered) over that time horizon, so you'll have to factor that (or the lack of importance in my estimation) into your comparisons. 

Good luck hunting.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

RABushnell

Jon,

Thanks for the quick and thoughtful response.  I knew that my time horizon was spanning a couple of different designs but was driven by my interest in the reverse transom and swim step. My son and I are scuba divers and that's an attractive feature.  Also, it makes deploying the dinghy much easier. Your comment about the deck-stepped mast also interests me as I --probably ignorantly--assumed that a keel-stepped mast is structurally a suprerior confirguation. Why do you think a deck-stepped mast is better?

Bob

Jon Schneider

I won't contradict that a keel-stepped mast is "structurally" more integral, and, from what I am told, pretty much a requisite for blue water sailing.  Since most C34s aren't blue-water sailing (mine included), I think the structural advantage of keel-stepping is offset by having to deal with a constant deluge of water in the bilge.  Regarding the advantage of keel-stepping, I believe the argument goes that if you lose a wire, your rig might break in half, but you'd still have something to fly a little canvas on and make it to an island a thousand miles away, whereas if you lose a wire on a mast-stepped rig, the whole mast will definitely come down.  I won't argue the merits of that contest, but in either case, I'll be calling my tow service, so the debate is moot.  Call me anal-retentive, but I would much prefer to keep the keel bolts (and the bilge in general) dry.  I'll be experimenting with all sorts of Rube-Goldberg-like strategies (including mini "gutters" and covers over the sheave slots) this winter to try to radically minimize the mast leakage. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

RABushnell

Jon,

Great points and very good info for me.  I sail in the California Channel Islands and the shortest passage is 11 nm (Anacapa Island) from my harbor.   Typically, we sail to Santa Cruz Island which is 26 nm away and work our way North day-by-day.  It's blue water sailing but nothing serious.  In other words, we could radio a tow service long before we were in any real danger.

Didn't know that keel-stepped mast created water/bilge issues but--duh--it makes sense.  I guess for our purposes, deck-stepped makes sense.  Now if we ever get ambitious enough to sail to Hawaii....that's another conversation.   First....I need to find a C34 !!

Thanks!

Bob

Ron Hill

Jon : I thought that an open transom with a 30hp M35 engine was MK 1.75!!!!!      :rolling
Ron, Apache #788

RABushnell

Jon Schneider

Ah, so for the benefit of Bob (and me, and I'm sure many others), what actually defines a Mark II (and when)?
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

RABushnell

Interesting question. Most interested in learning about the differences in Mk 1.5 vs 1.75 vs 2, etc.

Also, would like to know more about why there are so many 1980's boats on the market and so few from the 1990's.  My guess is that it had something to do with the economy but the dot com phenomenon would make me think that a bunch of boats were produced in the late 1990's and early 2000's. If so, why are they not changing hands?

Bob

paule

Great Boat!!!!!!!!!!!
One of the best boats I ever sailed (and have owned six boats).
I have owned several a C22, C250, C28 and now my C34 since 2003 and would not trade her in for others.

Paul
Yachta Yachta Yachta
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Jon Schneider

Quote from: RABushnell on December 28, 2007, 09:18:28 PM
Also, would like to know more about why there are so many 1980's boats on the market and so few from the 1990's. 

I'm not sure you're correct.  If you look at yachtworld.com, you'll find that it's about equal between the '80s and the '90s.  The true driver, however, is the production output: the '80s for the C34 was limited to five production years (1985-89) versus all 10 for the '90s.  That said, those five years in the '80s were quite fecund, since close to the same number of boats were built in the '80s as in the '90s.  There's also probably something about how long an older boat stays on the market (my guess would be longer than a younger one), and how often they flip.  I don't know the answer to any of those questions, but I'd bet that the answers are different by age of vessel.  If Yacht World employs a data analyst, they could probably define the trends quite nicely, but we still wouldn't know why.
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Ken Juul

Welcome all from the UK, I finally found a computer to get on line with :)  Happy holidays and happy new year to all!!

In late 1989 Catalina offered a sugar scoop swim platform with the full transom, this is still considered a Mk1.  In '90 they offered a walk through transom with the sugar scoop as an option, this is the start of the 1.5. Late 90 or early 91 it became standard.   Additionally in 1990 they started to offer the walk thru with the 30hp engine, the 1.75. In 94/95 the wide transom with the walk thru that is currently in production was offered, the MKII.  Keel or deck stepped have been available as options on several years, check each boat.  I think most of the MKI's are keel stepped, most of the MKII's are deck.  Pamphlets are available on the home page, left menu section, www.c34.org that represent the various models.

good luck on your hunt!!
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Bob : Let me answer your question on why so many 1980 C34s and so few 1990s.

Between 1986 and 1994, Catalina produced 1294 hulls and the total hulls to date are only about 1800.  So well over half of the C34s are MKIs.  A few other factors were that the C32 was introduced in approx. 1992 and the C34 mold/s burned in 1993? - so only a few 1993 C34 and no 1994 (I believe) were produced during those years.  
Infact production is even more lopsided as almost 1000 hulls were produced in the first 4 years of production (1986-1989)!!  

There is only a MKI (hulls 1-1249) and a MKII (hulls 1250 - to date).  There are many changes to the MKI as it went thru production.   a:wink:  
Ron, Apache #788

Bill Asbury

Bob, my C34 is a '91 hull #1140 and has walk thru transom/swim platform/keel stepped mast (water in bilge after rains) wing keel/tall rig/23hp Universal diesel.
Tall rig/wing keel is best for the Chesapeake (I'm based in Annapolis MD), particularly because of the skinny waters hereabouts.  Tall rig/fin keel might be best choice for you in SoCal light airs.  If you decide to venture North of Point Conception the keel stepped mast might be a good thing due to the high winds/big sea conditions.
So, since you're interested in the open transom design you might want to extend your search to the '90/91 models.
Best wishes!
Bill   
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

RABushnell

To all of you who have so generously shared your advice, knowledge and experience, I am most grateful.  You moved me up the learning curve quite quickly although I realize I still have a long way to go!   It's great to know that, when I do finally find that perfect C34, I'll have this valuable network of owners to consult on how to get the best out of what sounds like a terrific boat!

Thanks again and a Happy New Year to all.

Best regards,

Bob