V-Berth Mattress

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kimbel

I am looking to upgrade from the original foam cushions in my v-berth to a mattress (or most comfortable solution).  I have not found anything yet on the benefits/challenges of a traditional spring mattress vs. foam mattress.  Can anyone share your knowledge on this?  Cost is not my foremost concern - I'll spend the right amount to find a good, long-term solution. 

Should I look for a spring mattress, or are foam mattresses better options on a boat?  Also - any good sources on the east coast would be appreciated.

Thanks for any input -

Jeff

Craig Illman

Jeff - If you're "handy", there's a project write-up on the C36 website about making your own from a pair of twin mattresses.

Craig

Joe Kern

Jenny Jewel came with the Catalina provided spring mattress in the v-berth.  Its more comfortable than my matttress at home (could be just feels better after a day of sailing and a scotch) and much better than the foam mattress I had in my C270.  Seems to have held up well even after getting a little wet here and there from the hatch.  I beleive the spirngs are coated to resit rust.

Happy Holidays Everyone!!

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Roc

We have a layer of 'memory foam' that we purchased at a kitchen and bath store chain.  We put that right over the stock foam cushions.  I've seen the write up on the C36 site on the fabrication of the mattress from a standard home unit.  Looks like a good idea, but then I thought the metal components might not do too well in a marine environment.  Maybe that's why the ones Catalina supplies are so expensive?  Stainless steel springs?  Just a thought..
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

JK : I elected for the foam mattress and am pleased.  Bought it at the Annapolis Boat show from Handcraft Mattress. 
They came to the boat and measured - the fit is PERFICT!!!    :clap
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Jeff, you can also click on C34 Store at the top of the Message Board and check out Froli, scoll down.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Wayne

We opted for the box mattress in the 'v' berth, foam in the aft cabin.  I like the foam better--it is just slightly softer.  Also, the box mattress is about twice the thickness, which means that the insert for the 'v' berth blocks the drawer.  If I could turn back the clock, I would go with foam.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Jon Arck - Past C34IA Commodore

Hi, Everyone

Happy New Year!

I added the Froli to my vee berth a year ago (about $200), and it's great!  Not only is the berth more comfortable, but the plastic springs keep the cushion elevated and with the airflow, there's no condensation beneath the cushions.  A nice bonus...

Jack Hutteball

Jon,
I have been looking at the Froli system for our boat.  I have wondered, how do you make it work at the removable seat between the two sections of the vee-berth?
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Jeff Kimbel

Jon:

Thanks for your note on the Froli.  Do you have the original cushions, a spring or a foam mattress in your v-berth?

Thanks -

Jeff