1990 maxwell windless

Previous topic - Next topic

DLORENZ

have read a lot on board about different windless problems. the question I need answered is can I purchase a chain gypsy or a combination rode/chain gypsy. I believe I have a maxwell vc 500.  Also it only turns one way I assume that it can be wired to a two way foot switch. any help on this would be appreciated

tonywright

The motor is bi-directional, meaning that you could install a second foot switch. You would have to call Maxwell Marine to check availability of a chain gypsy. Haven't seen one offered for that model though.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Rocco

There is a kit available from Maxwell to modify the VC500 to a VW500 for chain rope (part number:P71379).  Here is a link on catalinsa320.org with specifics and instructions:
http://www.catalina320.org/article.php?story=20050312123201892&mode=print

Hope this helps,
Rocco

Ron Hill

Del : You might also think about just buying a Maxwell 800 with the drum and gypsy.  It might just be more cost effective.  A thought.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

Ron - Maxwell's not making the 800 anymore, just the 500 and 1000 now.  :(   I tried to pickup a VW800 online, but they weren't available anymore. The 500 is a little too small and the 1000 seems like a lot of money.

Craig

John Langford

I recall crunching the numbers for the 500 to see if it would manage 200 of 1/4" G4 chain and a 33 lb. Bruce. That combo was well within the load limits of the 500. I have used the windlass extensively with this combination without difficulty.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

George Bean

I received an email from Will Vrooman of Maxwell saying they no longer  produce a conversion kit to go from the rode to the chain combo windlass (P/N P71379) and to purchase the parts separately would exceed the cost of a new winch.  A quick comparison of the drawings and parts lists indicate that everything from the bearing and locknut on up would need replacing (about 19 parts).  Would anyone like to trade a combo for an all rode windlass?
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Ken Juul

you don't say why you want the combo.  I've been pulling my rope/chain rode using the drum for years.  Works fine.  You do have to tend the rode, especially when the chain in on the drum to ensure there is enough friction to pull the chain/anchor up.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

George Bean

I'm planning on going down to Mexico this fall and people have been telling me that all chain is the way to go but when I get back home I want to get the added weight off the bow and go back to my chain and rode.  I am worried that my 40' of 5/16 chain and 250' of 5/8 rode isn't the right combo for the Baja.
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Stu Jackson

Quote from: George Bean on March 21, 2016, 11:23:26 AM
I'm planning on going down to Mexico this fall and people have been telling me that all chain is the way to go but when I get back home I want to get the added weight off the bow and go back to my chain and rode.  I am worried that my 40' of 5/16 chain and 250' of 5/8 rode isn't the right combo for the Baja.

George, this is by far the best answer I've seen to the question of rodes and snubbers.  I have copied and linked it to many, many anchor topics on this and other boating forums:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5270.msg32471.html#msg32471

For your plans, I am sure you have seen Steve's entire trip analysis posts, well worth rereading them.  Invaluable material.

From zeehag, who posts on many of the other forums you visit, and who has been in MX on her Formosa 41 for a few years, rode has no place when you're there, all chain in the water.  Steve's solution is perfect.

Leave your old combo stuff at home or take it with you as a backup.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

George Bean

I see the need for a combination chain-rode windlass but unfortunately, I waited too long to buy the conversion kit so my options are somewhat limited.  I can: 1) Buy a used "combo" that has a burnt out motor and swap out the upper end with mine, 2) Trade my (slightly) used rode with someone who has a combo windlass or 3) Buy a new "combo" windlass and sell my rode model.  A new one is about two kilo buck$ so naturally, I'd like to limit this unforeseen expense.  Anyone want to buy an all rode VC500?  Hardly been used (San Francisco Bay boat and I anchor a very little). :thumb:
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Noah

Have you entirely ruled out using your current gypsy with all chain?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

George Bean

I have thought about this but I'm a little concerned about winching up  100 – 150' of chain every few days for a year and what it would do to the drum.  Can someone who regularly winches chain give me a few thoughts and comments?
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Roc

The chain around the drum works "ok" but not all that great.  You have to baby it along.  Years ago at a boat show, I asked Maxwell about what can be done to convert the drum to a rode/chain set up.  I was told (at that time the kit was available), to save my money and buff off the chrome on the drum and just use the drum to run the chain up.  If you use the chain on the chromed drum, the chrome will flake off like shards of glass and can cut you.  So I gave the drum to a friend with a machine shop and he took the chrome off.  However, like I said, it's not the best answer but just works ok.  You can try it and see if you feel it's appropriate for you.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD