engine overhaul on M-35 in '91 C-34

Previous topic - Next topic

mweitkamp

Hello gang....

I am on the verge of starting an overhaul on my M-35 engine in my '91 C-34 and just interested in hearing from anybody who has done it before.

My symptoms were overheating, inability to reach full power at the high end, and stalling of the engine at low rpms.  I have had the entire exhaust and heat exchange system apart, cleaned out the heat exchanger, replaced the raw water pump impeller, cleaned out exhaust manifold and elbow.  I pulled out the fuel injectors and had them professionally reconditioned.  This fixed the problem of stalling at low rpms, but still cannot go above 2200 rpm without overheating.

Compression readings are 340, 335, 330, and 395.....too low, and too wide a spread according to the manual.  My engine only has a little over 1400 hours on it so I'm kind of surprised to see this....does anybody know how common it is for an engine that age to need rebuilding?

I've read everything I could find on this message board by searching on "rebuild" and "overhaul".  Thanks to Dave Sanner for posting the info on his M25 XP rebuild.  If anybody has done the same thing on an M-35 I would like to hear from you.

Replies to the message board or direct email to mark_weitkamp@yahoo.com would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Ron Hill

Mark : I had similar problems with my M25XP - couldn't get it up to full power under load.  Changed the injectors, fuel lines  and checked all other items in the fuel / air intake systems. 
I finally removed the injection pump and had it rebuilt.  That was the problem and now have full power at full RPM.
I wrote that up in the Mainsheet tech notes - Feb 2005 issue.  Sound as though you have the same problem!!  You may want to check your injector pump out. 
Great info in those Mainsheet tech notes.  Almost every problem has already been addressed in those tech notes when you consider that the C30(for about 7 years), C34 & C36 all have the same engine! 
A thought.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

It's great to hear that folks are searching the Message Board and checking the Projects.  Please don't forget the FAQs and the very important Knowledgebase:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3362.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."