Water strainer Clogging in 34MKii

Previous topic - Next topic

dselec

The fresh water strainer in our 1999 mkii, #1450, repeatedly clogs with black gunk. My dock neighbor has a 1988 Catalina 34 and he periodically cleans debris from his starboard tank with a shop-Vac thru an access port in the tank.

Does the aft water tank in a mkii have an access port? I'm guessing access to the tank is through the aft cabin.

If there is no access port, I'd be interested in alternate methods to get rid of debris in the water system.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Siegel
1999 C34 mkII, hull #1450
Home Port: St. Clair Shores, MI

Ron Hill

Dave : I don't believe that there is an access port in any aft tank C34.  
Unlike the starboard tank, the aft tanks' drain is fwd side at the bottom and when emptied is completely empty.

I always wash the boat first to insure that all the water in the dock lines is used up before filling my water tank.

a few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Dave
My MKII does not have an access port only the forward tank does.  Whenever you fill your tanks try to let the water run for at least 15 minutes to insure clean water (this suggestion is per Pegged on keeping the fresh water clean).  What I do is fill the tanks after washing the boat.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ken Juul

Peggie Hall is now retired, she was the head and fresh water expert.  Google, "the head mistress".  She has a system of bleach and flushing that will clean your tanks without the use of the shop vac.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

dselec

I located Peggy's "shock" treatment for water tanks on trawlerforum.com and will go through the procedure.

Thanks to all for the useful information. I'm happy to be a member of the C34 Association!

Dave
Dave Siegel
1999 C34 mkII, hull #1450
Home Port: St. Clair Shores, MI

Jim Hardesty

Peggy's book "Getting Rid Of Boat Odors" has a lot of good information on water and holding systems.

http://www.amazon.com/Get-Rid-Boat-Odors-Aggravation/dp/1892399156

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: dselec on August 31, 2014, 06:22:38 AM
I located Peggy's "shock" treatment for water tanks on trawlerforum.com and will go through the procedure.

It's also right here on ours:

Fresh Water System Recommissioning 101  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5836.0.html

The "101 Topics" have a LOT of information.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

You also may want to try this filter assembly that I purchased from Home Depot.
I will try to attach a photo. It just attaches to your outside fill hose.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net