a matter of protocol

Previous topic - Next topic

sdaly66

OK,

Here's a $64 dollar question that may or may not even have an answer.  I should know this, somehow, as it relates to The Colors, but I don't know and can't find an answer.  Anyone?

For flying the U.S. Ensign from a stern staff, what is the proper location for said staff?  amidships? port side? starboard side?  is there a prescribed protocol on this point at all?

Stu Jackson

Try this: http://boatsafe.master.com/texis/master/search/mysite.html?q=flags

The rest of the website is a very good basic everything site.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Larry Robertie

I was taught that the flag goes on the starboard side, and that once tied up at a dock it is to be taken in.

As an add on question - what's the protocol for leaving it out when at anchor or moored.  I've thought it was propper at these times to retire the colors only upon leaving the boat.

Actually, in the old days they flew the flag from the back of the mizzen, so I guess todays equivalent would be to run it up either the boom toping lift (not so great for sail control) or the back stay.
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Mike Smith

Some sew it to the leech of the sail, about 3/4 up!

Mike

Jon Arck - Past C34IA Commodore

Hi, Everyone

It HAS to be on the starboard side, since that's where Catalina puts them!

Fair winds,
Jon

Jeff_McKinney

I've used the following approach and (so far) have not gotten yelled at by anyone:

1. At sunrise or at the start of the days activities put up the US or Yacht Ensign on the stern flagstaff (if available), backstay or starboard spreader (position of honor) first. Everything else is hoisted after that.

2. If the starboard spreader halyard is still free (and no stern mount for the US flag), US flag, Yacht Ensign, USPS (with your squadron burgee just below), yacht club, boat class (like a C-34 IA burgee) or other fleet colors. If you are a fleet or club officer you can put that below the respective organizational flag.

3. For overseas the yellow (Q) flag goes on the starboard spreader halyard until customs is cleared, then the colors of the host country replace it while in port.

4. If you have a port spreader halyard or other places use those next.

At sea/raft-up the colors can stay up while the boat is occupied. Everything comes down when you tie up and head home. US flag is the last one down.  :thumb:
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

sdaly66

Jeff,

Your response raises an interesting question.

Since the starboard halyard is the position of honor, is it still appropriate to fly the colors at the stern rail and the fleet burgee from the starboard halyard?  Or does that imply a protocol faux pas?

Jeff_McKinney

Not a faux pas in that arrangement as discussed in #2.

However, if you do not have a stern mounted flagstaff and are not flying it from the leech of the after-most sail (2/3 up from the clew) then the US flag should go on the starboard spreader halyard at the top, then any other flags are positioned below it.

If racing the US flag and club burgees are not flown.

Note: My descriptions are for a single masted sailboat. If a two mast boat then the forward-most spreader becomes the position of honor for burgees, courtesy flags, etc. Stink-pots have different rules.

Hope this helps.
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay