Ignition Key Cover

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Robertie

Hello All,

on my boat the ignition/glow plug switch has a black rubber cover with a slot in it for the key to fit through.  I suppose its purpose is to keep the weather out, and I do like the that function.  Unfortunately the rubber seems to be deteriorating.  I noticed that when I touch it with my hand I get a lot of black rubbed off.  Wiping the pedestal down with  a cloth produced even more.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement piece for this?  Or maybe there is a way to stabilize the rubber (or whatever it actually is)?

Thanks,
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Ken Juul

You might want to try an auto parts store for some tire dressing.  Clean the rubber well to get rid of the oxidation then apply the dressing.  I don't have a cover over mine and the MkI's have the engine panel on the port cockpit bulkhead so I think they are more exposed to the weather than yours.  Is the rubber really needed?  Looked on Yachtworld for a picture but couldn't find one that showed the ignition switch clearly.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Larry Robertie

Quote from: Ken Juul on May 14, 2007, 09:52:28 AM
Is the rubber really needed? 

Thanks Ken.  I was thinking of something like Armor All, maybe NAPA will have something better.

It's not so much that the rubber is needed, but rather the extra protection in offers.  Unlike on my C27 where the ignition was also on the side panel and partially covered by a plastic window, this panel is just smack on the pedestal, about a foot and a half up.  It probably won't get a lot of spray, but like I said, the rubber does provide some extra protection.
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Rick Johnson

My 1990 Mk I 1/2 has the same cover.  The panel was upgraded so maybe this is something that Seaward stocks?
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

dave davis

I replaced several items on the panel for upgrade and got them from Seaward Products at 562-699-7997
You can get a new start switch and /or a new ign. swith with the rubber cover.
dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Larry Robertie

Thanks folks, this is great.
Larry Robertie
Ruach #1506
Salem, MA

Ron Hill

Larry : Look in a marine catalog under ignition switches and you'll see the water protective screw-on cover.  Just spray some silicone on it to keep the "rubber" nimble.

I also have a cover on the starter switch and blower toggle switch - found them all in a marine catalog!!  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788