Alternator Belt Tensioner FLIX

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Here's an older discussion about this very subject from 2001 !!! :shock:

Topic:  Alternator Voltage Regulator   http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,255.0.html

Some things remain the same after 8 or 9 years.  Good stuff bears repeating

The "Small Engine Mode" uses the alternator temperature sensor pins on the regulator jumpered.  See: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4454.msg27149.html#msg27149  which also has a link to a picture of the 50%/100% toggle switch we installed.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roland Gendreau

I purchased the tool mentioned above and it works great.

]www.mscdirect.com part #35438209 (Belt tension jack)]

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ron Hill

Guys, Susan and D.Gill : Most of us know about the belt tensioning tool from the numerous posts, but most people do not really check the belt tension properly. 
I doubt that anyone measures the 3/8" to 1/2" deflection.  Most eye ball it at best.  Too tight a belt will raise hell with the water pump bearings and too loose a belt will allow the belt to slip.

I've written this up before, but it's worth repeating:
Go to the longest length of drive belt.  Place the belt between the thumb and forfinger and twist it.  If you can twist it 90, but no more than 180 degrees - the belt tension is OK.  I got this from the Old Farmers Almanac and have used it for over 21 years on my C34. 
Remember if you have a deep "V" pulley on your other than OEM alternator, you'll have to check tension more often as the belt will wear and sink deeper into that "V".

The temperature of the case surely changes its charging ability.  Maybe that's why Balmar mounted half of the diodes of my alternator on a heat sync !!   

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

From Capt. Sam on the C36 Board:

you probably have figured this out by now, but JC Whitney no longer sells this item. You can get one at MSC Industrial Supply www1.mscdirect.com I ordered one yesterday afternoon and it arrived this morning! How do they do that?
$18 plus about $10 shipping.
St. Marks, Florida

A link from 2018:  https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/35438209?cid=ppc-google-New+-+Motion+Control+%26+Fluid+Power+-+PLA_sKuRyZqHn
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Guys : Harbor Freight had them at one time.  
Also look at any full stocked auto supply store.  Maybe even check "snap-on tools".   A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

From the C36 Forum:

Alternator Belt Tensioner FOUND !
Thanks to the several guys who offered suggestions.
BUT Special Thanks to Capt. Sam who actually found it!

It is no longer being manufactured/carried by Northern Freight or JCWhitney.

It IS in the on line catalog of MSC Industrial Supply.

www.mscdirect.com
search for item # 35438209
$18 for the part
$13 more for shipping and tax.

A MUST HAVE in your on-board tool box.. You never know when the alternator belt is going to break, ... or just needs routine replacement. THIS IS the tool that tensions the belt....keeps it tensioned....while you tighten up your alternator and bracket!!

Thanks again Capt. Sam

Brian Giersch
"Encore"

Thanks, Brian.

Also from the C36 Forum"

Not to discourage anyone one from spending money on man toys but I have a big screwdriver that doubles as a pry bar. I just stick that behind the alt casing and against the block at the tip and pry up then with a ratchet in my left hand I tighten the bottom bolt then the top one. I have a cricket to check belt tension and I can get it past spec with that method. The cricket is more valuable to me than a tensioner.
Delaroux #1494
1995 C-36 MkII SR/WK M35A
Eastern Lake Ontario

What's a cricket?   :D :D :D

Bud most likely has an M35, which makes Ken Juul's point very important:  "What engine do you have?"

For an M25 or M25 XP, they're pretty handy things.   For M35s, maybe not necessary.  Any "
in between engine owners out there?

Ron Volk

Stu,

The web site and part number for the tensioner is not new to this topic, I referenced it on page 1 of this post in Feb. of 2009.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA