Webasto 3500 Installation

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

If my memory serves me correctly, there is a guide for marine use on both Espar and Webasto.  Both are used in the trucking industry but for marine use a different guide is used, mostly dealing with the fuel lines, duct work and exhaust pipe.
Next time I go up to the boat I will get my installation manual.
Paul
PS:  I bought my Espar from the dealer in Detroit but dealt with the Webasto dealer on the west coast for all other parts and technical advice.  They were more cooperative and knowledgeable about the marine environment.  I think it was Sure Marine Service in Seattle??
Cool Change 1989 #944

mainesail

The difference with Espar between a marine kit and truck kit are more than just a manual..

Here's some of the differences..

*Marine installations should use different fuel line, not plastic. The plastic fuel lines in a truck kit do not meet ABYC, USCG or minimum standards your insurance company will want to see. This copper is metric and hard to find in the US.

*Marine kit has marine specific software to minimize lock outs. On trucks they know where the fuel tanks are in comparison to the fuel metering pump. Not so on boats so the software is different.

*The truck kit comes with very little duct hose & supply/return outlets/inlets and is a different diameter than the marine kits due to run lengths.

*The truck kit does not come with exhaust blanket/exhaust lagging

*The truck kit does not come with a muffler

*The truck kit does not come with double walled marine SS exhaust hose. The truck kit exhaust hose is single wall and NOT SAFE for marine use.

*The truck kit does not come with the exhaust fitting for the transom

*The truck kit does not come with a marine mounting bracket, they usually mount them on a floor.

*On some models the marine kits use a larger duct hose diameters and heater outlets/end cones to make up for the longer runs we have on boats.

*Truck kits don't come with exhaust condensate drains (some marine kits don't either)

In short I have installed a number of Espar's for folks trying to save money by purchasing a truck kit. In every single case it cost more than just buying the marine kit to start with. For example the truck dealers don't stock lenghts of more than 6' in ducting. The minute you order "marine ducting", from the marine dealer for a truck kit, and you did not buy the heater from them, the price seems to magically go up.

I would strongly urge anyone considering a Webasto or Espar to buy a marine heater from whomever will stand behind it and service it locally. I would also not install an Espar without the digital thermostat. These stats allow you to re-set codes & over-ride metering pump lock outs as well as trouble shoot the codes. The Espar service tool for this cost over $1000.00 and the Digi-Max D-1000 stat costs under $100.00. If you buy a truck kit, and use it on a boat, you will eventually lock the unit up and without the Digi-Max you have no way to clear the code and re-boot it..

I would strongly urge not to tee into an existing fuel line. The fuel "metering" pumps need the small diameter pick up the Espar ships with or they can lock out and cause nuisance issues. Tee in only as a last resort.
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Paulus

I did not mean to imply that it was just a manual, only that there is a separate manual for marine application.  As i said in my post that the duct, fuel and exhaust are very different. 
For those installing a heater. Mainsail as pointed out in detail the difference in the marine environment. The marine manuals for these heaters also go into these details. 
Fuel line has to be copper and I had to order it out of England through eBay as they would sell it in meters. (Originally I used rubber fuel line but after much discussion on this site, I found the metric copper)
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

rmbrown

Just to make things a little more confusing... the words I copied way above, that were confusing as to when the heater could be used, *were* from the marine installation manual, but still made it look like it could be used on a boat but only when the occupants were awake.

I'm looking for something that I can safely use and sleep.  The webasto has no such warning but I suspect that has more to do with the paranoia of their attorneys than their design.

https://esparparts.com/techsupport/pdfs/Marine%20installations/Airtronic%20marine_installation_manual.pdf
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Paulus

Mike, just an addition to Mainsail's comments, be sure that the exhaust pipe will not allow water to flow to the heater if a wave hits the transom of the boat.  Pipe should have a rise in it before it exits the transom. 
Also the the  digital thermostat is a must as it will tell you if there is something not working(need the codes).   My unit also came with a plug so that you can hook it up to a computer if you have the software.  Easier and cheaper to take the heating unit to a dealer than a service call.(If not been there yet)
I also put in an opening port(7X14") in the aft cabin(rear wall) so that I can check the heating unit. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Paulus

Cool Change 1989 #944

rmbrown

I'm just about sold on the Wallas 30GB, but it's a little bigger... about 18 x 11 x 6 inches... so I was hoping someone had some insight as to whether that would fit back behind the bulkhead at the foot of the aft berth, over the fuel tank and under the propane locker.

Also, as far as ducting, my understanding is that the intake draws heat to it, so I'm thinking of one duct to bulkhead that I'd have to remove to get to the mounting location, one in the foot area of the chart table, and a third in the forward cabin underneath the drawers, with the intake in the head.

Thoughts?
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC