Companionway hatch board stowage bags

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cotterill

Hi, I recall seeing some information on the website a whle ago for making some  hatch board stowage bags for the Companionway but I havn'e been able to find it again. Does anyone have any instructions, patterns or pictures of these and how best to attach them to the companionway. C34  Mk 1 number 1257. Thanks

John Cotterill
Catalina 34 Mark 1 Number 1257
"Catatonic"
Located : Lake Macquarie, Newcastle, Australia

skip

John-

If you find or think of any ideas on this let me know, I'm itching for a sewing project to work my machine and winter blues out on.   The bag alone doesn't cut it....I'd like to combine the bag and the storage solution into one idea.   I'm good at making patterns if I have a concept to work with.   I also have a mk1
Michael & Helene Scipione - Virtual Reality 840
Lincroft, New Jersey

Jack Hutteball

I am not sure if you guys have seen the hatch storage "box" in the MKll's.  It really works well.  A shallow wood box with a permanent bungee cord mounted on the port side of the companionway next to the steps.  It holds all three hatch boards out of the way but handy when you need them.  Will take pictures of mine if you are interested.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Mike Smith

Sailor Vic

I bought my bag 2 years ago from Helm Seat where I also purchased a helm seat.

I love both:

http://www.helmseat.com/CanvasProducts.htm
2005 MKII - Letting Go  - #1688
Marina Village - Gate 11 - Alameda, Calif.

Ron Hill

John : If you'll look in projects you'll see that I store my 2 (MKI) hatch boards inside the port cockpit lazerette. 
It was my 1st Mate that came up with the idea.  They are stored vertically and readily available at a moments notice to put back in place.  They take up space that is otherwise unused!!   I used old pillow cases to slide the teak boards into, before storage. 
That writeup with a picture is also in the Mainsheet Tech Notes.  A thought. 
Ron, Apache #788

Jack Hutteball

Mike,
I will go down to the boat tomorrow and take a picture for you.  Hope I can figure out how to post pictures to the site.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Hank Busey

The Sunbrella sleeve looks like a good winter project, but the boat (Bitterroot) is in Anacortes, and I'm in Missoula, Montana!  Could someone with a MKI give me a measurement on the length and width of the top board?   Thanks much.    Hank Busey (hwbusey@montana.com)

Craig Illman

I just completed re-finishing mine, so they're leaning here by the couch!  36 1/2 x 11 5/8

Where is your boat at Anacortes? I just moved mine up to Anacortes Marina the first of December.

Craig

Stu Jackson

Hank -- It may be worthwhile to check the request for identification here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1506.0

The hatch board measurements would most likely be different for Mark I & II boats.  Please help out by identifying your boat in your posts and using a signature.  Thanks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jack Hutteball

Mike,
Here are the pictures of the hatch board storage in my MKll.  Sorry it took so long to get around to it.  Have been having to deal with contractors repairing my house.  We had a 2' diameter tree come into the living room during the last storm with 70 mph winds.

It basically has two sides with a bottom that has a shallow lip.  There is a permanent bungee across the top and a plastic protection panel in the back.  It mounts from the back side inside the head.  Very convient and easy to use.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Jack Hutteball

Additional hatch board storage picture.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Mike Smith

Stu Jackson

You will notice in Jack's second picture that the hatch to the engine below is NOT the full width of the distance between the sides of the head and the aft cabin.  This allows a "shelf" to place the hatch-boards, with whatever method used to attach them (i.e., Vic's canvas with shock cord or Jack's "holder").  The Mark Is (at least the earlier ones) have the engine hatch going all the way across, and the distance between the edge of the companionway steps and the walls on each side is significantly smaller, almost precluding putting the two Mark I hatch-boards on one side.  Our hatch is held, when up, by a spring holder per a Tech Notes suggestion, so I'm sure it goes all the way across.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."