Removing Oven?

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe and Carol

Our 1987 Catalina 34 TR, YachtaSea, lives on Stockton Lake, Missouri, with a great eating place within walking distance of our slip.  We are not big eaters and enjoy lite fare when sailing.  We have a microwave on board.  

My question is:  removing the oven would allow space for a modification that might be more useful than "having someone sweat over a hot stove?"   :thumb:

Anybody made better use of the salon area by removing the oven?  Appreciate your ideas.   :clap

Joe and Carol
Hull  # 244
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Ken Krawford

I haven't removed an oven, but in your case it might make sense.  I would make sure that whatever you do with the space was easily reversible.  I think that when time comes to sell your boat, not having an oven could be a big deal breaker.  Just my thoughts.
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Mike Smith

We have never used the stove on Breezer and we have rarely used the table either.  Currently the table and its pedestal are in storage - you'd be amazed a the extra room you have in the main salon without it.  I do remember someone building a liquor cabinet and bar where their stove used to be, but I can't find it in the archives.  If I do locate it, I'll post it here.

Mike

Jon Schneider

This is a pretty interesting question, so much so that I thought it was worthy of a poll (see the related "galley equipment" poll at http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3373.0).  I would get rid of my oven (oven only) if I didn't think it would hurt re-sale value.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

The only advantage to removing the oven that I can think of  - is you could then add extra insulation to the aft (outside) of the refrigerator. 
However if you plan on doing that, make sure you resell your boat to a bachelor!!  :!:
Ron, Apache #788

Joe and Carol

Yes, we would want to be able to reinstall oven for resale.  Thanks for the responses. 

Things we have considered: placing a wine rack, microwave location, a little storage, and additional countertop for food space.  We have the small Mod salon table and like it better than original table which we store away.

See Ya at the Chicago Sail Show!  We put YachtaSea back in on March 15.  Lord, Please cause the winter to pass quickly!    :D
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Fou Du Large

Hello

If you think to sell your oven, please let me know.
I'm interested.

Thank
Martial
C-34  1986 
No-58
'' OCEANE ''

Roc

The other issue with removing the oven could be the decrease in weight on that side.  Could cause a port list (or increased list).

Just a thought...
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Susan Ray

or an apartment sized ac frig will fit there....
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Tom Glennon

My '87 had the two burner with oven alcohol stove/oven.  After a delightful and delicious breakfast one morning while anchored in Edgartown hHarbor, I wnt ashore and left the Admiral aboad alone.

Aparently there was a little seepage of the alcohol fuel below the drip pan, and flared up causing quite a situation.
Two near-by Cap'ns rushed over and extinguished the flame with a fire extinguisher.  Needless to say, it was quite a mess, but no damage done.  When that cruise ended, the stove/oven was gone!  I now have a drop-in 2-burner alcohol unit, with open space below.  This winter's project is going to be to make a panel with shelving/drawer perhaps to house a microwave!
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Ron Hill

Tom : You and your crew must be high on the list for Saint Hood - enjoying cooking on a (low BTU) alcohol stove!!   I had one of those on a previous boat and finally converted it to kerosene so we could get water to boil !! 
The preheating of both of those were a GREAT hesitation to my 1st mate.  She'd probably make me eat cold food rather than go back from our propane to alcohol.    :!:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Smith

Do you smell something?  Ka-Boom!

In fact, we've never used the stovetop, either!  We use a small, portable GloMate gas ring on the cutting board like those used for tableside cooking in restaurants.  It has a carrying case, has a cooking pot restraining accessory, and uses $5 butane canisters.  I think I paid around $50 for it at West Marine a few years ago. Works great, is self-igniting, and gets hot instantly. I think they make a stainless steel version.  We take it to the beach in the dinghy and use it at home also.

Multitasker Mike

PS Here's a current model:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&&storeId=10001&langId=-1&productId=127184&ref=81902