NEW!!!-Jan. '07 -: Tech Notes, Projects, and FAQ Articles KNOWLEDGEBASE & Index

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

An incredible amount of thanks go to Jon Schneider who developed this brand new tool for you to use to find information on our C34 Original Website.

Go to: http://www.c34.org/tech-notes-index/technotes-excel.xls

What Jon has done is what many of you have been requesting for quite some time, an easier way to FIND information on the Original C34 Website.

This NEW Knowledgebase is arranged by subjects, and includes

-- The Tech Notes from 1987 to date

-- Projects

-- The FAQs 

How to SEARCH the Knowledgebase : 

In addition to the categories, you can also search this new Knowledgebase for a particular word using your Excel spreadsheet search function (CNTL F).  Go to the tabs at the bottom of the first page, click on ALL ARTICLES, which opens that page (or sheet) and use CTRL-F there.

The "Guide to Technical Resources for the C34 Website is: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2629.msg13752#msg13752
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jon Schneider

BTW, I got pretty bleary-eyed over that last few weeks editing and compiling this, so if you find any errors or can think of ways to improve it, please let me know (jonschn@gmail.com), and I'll update/enhance it (or you can) in the next release.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ken Heyman

Thanks Jon!,

---great organization of an already great resource.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Mike Vaccaro

Jon,

Great work!  I really appreciate all of the effort that you put into this project.  This is a tremendous resource that makes a great web site even better.  It's awfully nice to have dedicated folks that are willing to share their valuable time so that the rest of us can benefit.

Thanks again,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Ken Heyman

Jon,

I've been having a bit of trouble getting directly to the tech notes from the spreadsheet. At Stu's suggestion, I entered the tech notes through a browser search.I then entered my original user id and password that was sent to all of us upon joining and was able to get in. This back door approach then allowed me to enter through the spread sheet links although I have no idea why. When entering directly, I am asked for id info that does not work and ultimately get a message that the page does not exist.

Not to diminish the usefulness of this knowledge base----you have done an amazing job. ---just thought you might want a heads up.

Thanks,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Jon Schneider

Ken, yes, you uncovered a little bug (among several) in the website's content architecture.  There are actually two versions of the Tech Notes page.  Neither Dave Sanner (our webmaster) nor I (a complete incompetent) don't know the reason for this, but one of these days we're going to fix these issues.  They're just not as easy to fix as they seem simply because, in fixing one issue, we run the risk of breaking something else.  Meanwhile, here's the page where you (and everyone) can download the Knowledgebase: http://www.c34.org/tech-notes-index/index.htm

I'll update the knowledgebase in a day or two with the latest (Feb.) content as well as the latest Projects entries, though no need to wait because we won't have the actual Tech Notes content online for a while.  As an aside, the reason we haven't updated the Tech Notes content yet is because we're in the process of figuring out how to upload it as "live" content (i.e., HTML rather than an Acrobat PDF file).  This will make it much more searchable and flexible.  Hold your breath!  (er, maybe not)
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

Backdoor into Knowledgebase

As an additional note to Ken's post and Dave's reply, I've found that if you go to C34 projects at the top fo this page, then use the left side index for Tech Notes, the thing works.  Using the C34 Tech Notes at the top of thsi page doesn't.  It's still all there once you get there as just described.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."