Dodger and Bimini pricing

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Has anyone recently put a dodger and bimini on their boat? I'm hoping to get some ballpark estimates on how much each would cost especially if anyone is in the San Diego area and has used a particular company.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Jon Schneider

I replaced my dodger for $1,200 (using the existing frame and the original dodger as a template) and installed a new bimini for $1,400 (same east coast, Long Island provider as a package); the bimini was completely new, no existing framework.  This was in 2004. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Bill Sedgwick

Mike,

I need to re-canvas my dodger and would like to know if you have any good quotes. I have just started looking so don't have any prices to share but I will soon.

Come visit (and join) the SDCatA. Meeting is at SGYC at 7 PM on the 1st Wednesday of each month. http://www.sdcatalinaassoc.com/

Bill
George W (Bill) & Jo Ann Sedgwick
SchatzSea #1031

Ron Hill

Mike : You're going to get figures all over the place.  Your question gets asked about once a year.
The driving factors are :
1. What do you have right now?
2. What features do you want on your new dodger/Bimini  - hand rails / connecting piece / etc. etc.
3. Your location and what season you'll be having it done.

If you already have a stainless frame that's still usable, that's about 50% of the total dodger cost.

Look at some of the previous recommendations.   :think
Ron, Apache #788

reedbr

I just had the dodger, bimini, connector and wheel cover replaced a year ago.    If I recall, the price was between $4-$5K on my C34 MkII.  This was a replacement, so that didn't include frames.  What I found though was that my options were  REALLY limited to people within a close proximity to the boat.  In fact, in my area, I couldn't even get shops interested in the job who were 30 minutes away in Annapolis.  Apparently there is too much back and forth between the shop and the boat to get it right. That and they just aren't hungy enough for the work, even though i was calling in the off-season.

On the flip side, the canvas shop in my yard ended up getting the job and did great work.  They have even come back a couple times for free to make an adjustment, add a snap, and add a piece of reinforcement where we noted some early wear.
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Bill, I did some scouting around last weekend in San Diego and Murphy's canvas was highly recomended by my marina manager. His prices are lower than Baja canvas over near me in Mission Bay and he is noted for his high quality work. I'm looking at about $4,000 foa a full dodger with frame, 1'' SS tubing, handholds side and back and full covers. The Bimini will be an extra $2500 with frame and connector piece includes a window in the top with cover.
There doesn't seem to be a slow time in SD, if I decide to do it, it won't happen till April and everyone else is the same. I had a problem with even getting someone to call me back for quotes.
Marshal Murphy is the owner and his number is 619-224-2220. He's at 5000 Harbor Drive right next to Driscol's Yard and he is a nice person to talk to. He took over the family business from his dad. He also has a slip available to leave your boat there while he's working on it if you want.

Good Luck,
Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Mike, nice hunting and reporting.

This may have been discussed earlier (see the New Knowledgebase at Tech Notes Online and in a recent posting here) under dodgers:

The height of the dodger, especially if new with a new frame, is a choice YOU have to make.  We've seen all kinds and sizes.

An unusual feature of our boat is what most people call a VERY LOW dodger.  We have to stoop under it to get down below.  It has a small flap of material running below the frame at the rear end of the dodger.  We got used to it.

The advantage is that see can see OVER the dodger when we're standing, so we're not forced to spend the entire time looking through plastic when we're out sailing. We do not have a bimini.  Our sunshade is an umbrella!   :D

Others choose to have higher dodgers so that they can connect them to biminis.  Your boat, your choice, just thought you'd like to know the differences.  Very good idea to get the side rails, if you hadn't you would have missed them right away the first time you went forward.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bill Sedgwick

Mike,

Thanks for the report. I'll give Murphy's a call.

Bill
George W (Bill) & Jo Ann Sedgwick
SchatzSea #1031

Ken Heyman

Echoing Stu's comments, we also use  large golf umbrellas for  bimini(s). They work quite well to shield us from a blistering midwestern sun during the mid July 'doldrums" on Lake Michigan,(They don't do much for the flys however.) We simply insert them into some fishing rod holders attached to the stern pulpit. We can easily make adjustments depending on the rerlative position of the sun.We have learned,however, not to underestimate the aerodynamic capabilities of an umbrella, - particularly when sailing upwind. They do need to be adequately secured in the rod holders. Now all we need is something for the flys---maybe some mosquito netting-
hmmm.

(BTW - spell check is still not working)

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ken Juul

In many outdoor stores or on-line you can find battery operated portable bug zappers.  They are normally about $10.  They are usually shaped like a fly swatter or badmitten racket.   Won't keep the flys away, but it sure is satisfying to hear them sizzle!
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ken Heyman

Thanks Ken,

Sounds like a plan---nothing like some good sadistic entertainment.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il