Fuel Filter Bracket for Universal M25XPB, M25XPBC, M35B, M35BC & M40B

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Sayian

While reading the Feb 2006 Mainsheet this past winter, I noticed a service bulletin (#247) from Westerbeke (Universal) about the fuel filter bracket. The bulletin said that on engines built prior to September 2004, the bracket was subject to fracture at the radius bend.  This was due to the older brackets were bent using a 'knife edge' instead of a 'radius edge'. The knife edge bend creates a sharper bend in the steel and is a potential weak spot from vibrations at low idle.

I have an M35B and inspected my bracket and it was fractured about 3/4 of the way along the bend.
I wrote to Westerbeke for the new bracket and they responded very quickly.  The contact at Westerbeke is Joe Joyce and he's the Service Manager.  Joe will respond to your emails.  He sent the new bracket out in a couple days at no charge.  His email address is: JJoyce@westerbeke.com.  If you have one of the referenced engines and have a cracked bracket, you may want to contact Westerbeke for a replacement.  You'll need to provide them with the serial number of your engine with the request.

I replaced the bracket and it took about 15 minutes.  You don't have to remove the fuel filter and go through the bleeding hastle.  Just remove the two bolts, washers, lock washers and nuts that fasten the fliter assembly to the bracket and then remove the two bolts and washers that fasten the bracket to the engine.  Just be carefull as there is a spacer on the outboard side of the bracket between the bracket and the engine.  The bolts are also two different sizes so you'll have no problem seeing the difference. 

:clap

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

foursailing

Add me to the list of fractured fuel filter brackets.  Finally got around to replacing mine and when I pulled the old one out it was cracked at least 1/2 way through.

Followed steve's instructions below to get a replacement (thanks steve!)
Bill Dwyer
#1446, 1999
RICOCHET, Keyport NJ

Norris Johnson

Replaced mine about the same time as Steve. No big deal. Like Steve, I contacted Westerbeke and they were great!
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Roger Blake

I ordered the same bracket last year (to be installed this year). Westerbeke also sent me a camshaft tang sleeve kit (I didn't request it...they just sent it...good service if you ask me). Seems some early model engines were shipped without the tang sleeve installed (see service bulletin #235). For those who have a manufacturing date of E001 (Jan 2000) or earlier, you probably should check your sea pump.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

canuck

tonywright

I just got around to doing this on my engine, which only has just over 100 hours. I had put this off, because visual inspection while the bracket was mounted on the engine showed no sign of a crack.

But I finally got around to it, and glad that I did. Once the bracket was removed a crack was immediately noticeable. I assume that this is a serious fire hazard if the replacement is not done.

As other have mentioned, the service from Westerbeke is friendly, free and fast.

If you are purchasing a used C34 older than 2004, you want to be sure this replacement has been done.

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ron Hill

Guys : Beside the fuel pump bracket there's also an important modification for the added sleeve on the raw water pump shaft - for those same engines!  Just a reminder!!
Ron, Apache #788

tonywright

True Ron, that applies to all of the engine models listed in the subject of this thread manufactured January 2000 or earlier. That is service bulletin #235.

The fuel filter bracket applies to all engines of those models made before September 2004.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

karista

I was just advised by Westerbeke that Service Bulletin 235 applies to Model M25XPB that went into production in 1996, so they said my 1990 engine is not affected :?
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Rick Johnson

"MODELS: UNIVERSAL M25XPB, M25XPBC, M358, M35BC, M40B

THE ABOVE SUBJECT MODELS USING THIS BRACKET MANUFACTURED PRIOR TO SEPTEMBER 2OO4 IE4O9) ARE SUSPECT..."

http://www.westerbeke.com/mdtools/service_bulletins/sb%5F247%2Epdf

Cheers,

Rick

Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ron Hill

Guys : ALL of the MKI C34s origionally came with an "A" Universal engine NOT a "B"!!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Mick Laver

I realize this is a very old topic, but I just came across the 2008 service bulletin #247 a month or so ago. For recent C34 owners it might be worth bringing it up again, in case their POs didn't make the fix. Mine didn't, and when I went to inspect the bracket I found a substantial crack right at the bend. Gulp.

Unfortunately Universal no longer provides the replacement bracket for free. I left a message with Westerbeke and Joe Joyce called me back to say "That campaign ended about three years ago." The good news is that the brackets aren't outrageously expensive ($22.50 US) and shipping's reasonable.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Ron Hill

Guys : You can also fix that crack with a "stop drill hole" and a continuous weld.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788