Aft cabin engine smell

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

Our boat is new with only 80 hours on the engine. After running under power for only a few minutes there is a strong engine ordor in the aft cabin.
It does not seem like exhaust.  I dont think this happened the first few times we were out.  Is this a normal condition for the boat?  I realize the proximity to the engine but the cabin has to be aired out before using it.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

bjmansfield

If the smell is not exhaust, that leaves diesel, oil, antifreeze, burning rubber or electrical.

As diesel has a rather distinctive smell, it would probably be obvious if you had a diesel leak.  The same with electrical and electrical tend to be obvious very quickly.

Have you looked closely at all areas of the engine for any sign of an oil or coolant leak, particularly onto hot engine parts;  you need a flashlight and dental mirror to see some of the areas.
Is the fan belt slipping causing a burning rubber smell??
You also may want to route the crankcase vent hose back to the air cleaner inlet if you havent already done so.
Just some suggestions...

Jack Hutteball

It does not smell like diesel, rubber or hot oil.  That only leaves coolant.  Engin coolant level seems to be full when I have checket it, but I have not looked at the expansion resevor in some time.  This must not be a problem that anyone else has had.  Need to find my dental mirror! Thanks
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington