Cutless Bearing Removal - Home-made Tool

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob K

My shaft is removed, and I am ready to press my cutless bearing out with a home-made press.   (Described on a previous post using 5/16" threaded rod, a socket wrench 1/2" drive socket, 5" of 1 1/2" pipe, and a few nuts/washers. ) Problem is, I can't find a drive socket with an OD of just under 1.25" which I can use to push through the strut to push the bearing out.  Can anybody offer any suggestions?
Thanks
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Bob : Now that the drive shaft is out, take a hack saw and gently/evenly saw thru the rubber and the brass on the old Cutless bearing.  Saw the TOP of the cutless - then collapse the bearing with a screwdriver and take it out.
Put the new shaft in and then press in the new bearing!!    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Bob K

Ron,  I was hoping to try this pressing method, as it migjht be easier than sawing if I can find the right size socket.  I did the hacksaw method on my C27 several years back. Perhaps that is still the best method! Thanks
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Vic Suben

Another suggestion that might work.  Use a piece of pipe or tubing with 1-1/4" OD and 1" ID.  The tubing should be about 6" long.  Cut the tubing lengthwise.  The kerf should be about 1/16".  Hold the two pieces together with a hose clamp.  Use the split tube to push the bearing out & it should also work to push the new bearing in to place.

Hope this helps.

Vic Suben
Surprise
Hull No. 453 - Port Jefferson, NY
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Ron Hill

Bob : Whatever you find to try and press out that old bearing (if you don't want to saw & collapse it) make sure that it is SLIGHTLY LESS than 1 1/4" diameter.   
The worst nightmare would be to get a piece of 1 1/4" stock stuck inside the strut(even if it's in 2 pieces)!!    :!:
Ron, Apache #788

clifford Rieders

I had a toolmaker make it in two pieces which works well. It was minimal cost

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."