Cabin sole - "Ultimate Sole" product

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

I'm sanding and refinishing the cabin floor boards as a winter project. Recently at the "Strictly Sail" show in Chicago, I stumbled on a kiosk that was hawking a product called "Ultimate Sole". It's about twice as expensive as the product that was used on "Kindred Spirit" (project section of our web site.

The claim that most interested me was that of "astounding footing (unequaled in the marine environment for a gloss finish)". They have a web site at www.ultimatesole.com.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with this product.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dmcmd

I replaced my sole last season and used the "ultimate sole" products.
The finish is high gloss and stood up well.  After one season it still looks new and will not require any additional coats this year.  It really is non skid, even with socks on.  Don't forget the back side.
Dennis  'Inspiration' 1986 #221, tall rig, fin keel, Hampton, Va

Vic Suben

The teak & holly cabin sole in Surprise is scuffed and stained in some places.  During the coming winter I would like to restore the sole to its original finish.  Has anyone tried to restore a teak and holly sole?  If so, please let me know if you had to take special precautions or needed to do something other than sanding and varnishing.

Thanks,

Vic Suben
Surprise
Hull No. 453
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Ken Heyman

I did mine using 'Ultimate Sole".  Keep in mind that the veneer is very very thin, so aggressive sanding is not the answer. This product fills the scuffs and gouges to some extent. -----take a look at the following:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1965.0

Good luck,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Earl Miller

I refinished the sole a few months ago and it looks great.  Sanding would be very risky as the veneer is only a thirtysecond of an inch thick.  I used a paint stripper (polystrippa or one of the biodegradable products work well).   After using the stripper it needs a thorough wash and rinse. Once it dried I gave it a very light sanding with 220 grit (the water will raise the grain a bit so it needs a bit of a sanding).  You can then finish it with whatever product you like.  I used a satin finish to match the oiled finish on the interior teak and am very happy with the look.
Earl Miller, 1989 #923 "Diamond Girl",  Gabriola Island BC

Ron Hill

Vic : I used a semi-gloss polyurethane varnish.  Sand lightly, because as Ken said it's a vainer.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

sailmed

I used Ultimate Sole in my Tartan 34C and had great results.  It was truly non-skid, even with socks on, and it was very durable.

Footloose

Vic:  I used the full gloss polyurethane on the sole as well as the companionway steps.  No one has fallen yet even with wet feet.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Ron Hill

Dave & others : If you want to varnish the steps, I'd strongly recommend that you use some anti skid strips on the steps. 
Look in the Mainsheet tech notes and you can see mine.

Another benefit is that the anti skid is white and a great contrast at dusk or night.   :thumb: 
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Ultimate Sole is fantastic stuff.  I just refinished my sole this spring.  Very easy to apply.  Great looking.  Very good traction.  I applied three coats to some of the boards because I don't really like shiny wood, but I tested four coats on others.  There's a slight difference in looks between the two treatment strategies (four coats is a little more shiny, but not too), and I would recommend going with the additional coat for protection.  Definitely use paint remover to get the old varnish off, but you can sand the bare boards without fear; I just wouldn't do it for removing the old varnish.  My boards were in terrible shape, and I was able to use 120 grit (gingerly) and work up to 320 (which I felt was fine enough).  What a difference! 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

Jon

The application instructions for Ultimate sole suggest using their pre-cleaning products first.  Did you do that or just use stripper to remove the previous material?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."