Is a noisy refrigerator normal?

Previous topic - Next topic

M L Clarke

I'd like to hear from those of you with more experience what to do about a noisy refrigerator in a new 2006 Cat. 34.  The fridge has an intermittent sound like a buzz like a loud angry fly.  Is this normal?  When you hold the black hose leading to the freezer section it is vibrating along with the sound. 

Joe Kern

No noise in my 2005 Hull # 1717 except some humming in the aft cabon when the compressor kicks on.  Fridge itself is pretty much silent.  I don't think what you are experiencing is normal.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

sailmed

With a grand total of 4 weeks experience with a 2006 C34 MkII (#1761) I can attetst that, except for the sound of the compressor at the stern to starboard, the fridge is not noisy.  I certainly do not have a buzzing sound emanating from the cabin unit.  Sounds like a warranty call is in order?

Stu Jackson

mlc

Perhpas before you enter into a warranty claim, you may want to check to see if there's a loose screw or bolt or hanger somewhere, unless you've already traced it down to a problem with the unit itself.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jeff_McKinney

I concur with Barry-  it's normally pretty quiet. Stu may be on to something: Loose rattly parts are a prime culprit. :thinky:

Good luck.
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

ML : If I had a NEW 2006 C34 and had ANY kind of a problem that didn't sound or seem right; the dealer would have been contacted YESTERDAY!!!!!    :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Some of us never bought a new boat, and so may have been somewhat hasty in recommending a self-appraisal in lieu of immediate dealership advisement.  However, it still wouldn't hurt taking a look to see if anything seems to be out of sorts in your eye, so as to begin to at least start on the process of rehabilitation.  Worst you can do is to learn more about your boat.  Many new boat owners have commented on loose hose clamps...one could wonder whether this is a dealer issue or ownership's.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Guys : You may as well complain to your dealer while the boat's still under warranty, because you're on your own after that first year!!  The dealer's not going to be nice guy and extend your warranty! 
Now you SHOULD check to make sure that YOU haven't created the problem by storing lines or fenders etc too close and they maybe the cause of the problem.

"Many new boat owners have commented on loose hose clamps...one could wonder whether this is a dealer issue or ownership's."  To me loose or missing hose clamps, are an indication of poor Quality Control at the factory and lack of attention by the dealer during commissioning.  Complaints from the dealer back to the factory for warranty work, really gets the attention of the factory. 
If you'd take a new appliance apart in your home first rather than contacting the store, then don't bother the dealer!    :!:
Ron, Apache #788

Sailor Vic

">To me loose or missing hose clamps, are an indication of poor Quality Control at the factory and lack of attention by the dealer during commissioning.  Complaints from the dealer back to the factory for warranty work, really gets the attention of the factory."<

Ron,

I wish that was the case but unfortunately from my experiences that isn't the case regarding "really gets the attention of the factory".

Many new owners (including myself)  have experienced the loose hose clamps throughout and the factory has to know by now and yet it seems to continue to be an issue.

Vic
2005 MKII - Letting Go  - #1688
Marina Village - Gate 11 - Alameda, Calif.

M L Clarke

Thanks for all your help!  This is my first post and I appreciate how quickly and thoroughly my question was answered.  I just didn't know how concerned I should be or how common this problem was.  The dealer has been very helpful. We left the boat there to get several things fixed, and they say they've tightened  hose clamps, and now it's quiet. We're brand new Cat 34 owners, and will be joining Fleet 1.  Thanks again.     M.L.

Stu Jackson

ML, you wrote: "We left the boat there to get several things fixed, and they say they've tightened  hose clamps, and now it's quiet."

That's great, for starters.

In order for YOU to become more comfortable with your new boat, I suggest that you have the dealer show you exactly, in person, exactly what he did to solve the issue.

Unless you know what happened, and what was fixed, you must remember that there aren't "fixity guys" out there, which is, basically, or to use that word again, exactly, NONE.  It's up to YOU, and YOU ALONE.

We are sincerely concerned about your safety, not just dealer, builder, owner issues.

Stay safe, learn more.

PS  Fleet 1 will be up in Benecia this weekend for a fleet cruise. 

Ron Hill

On Stu's post AMEN!! 
The best fixes will be made (under warranty) if you are present and can watch the mechanic do the fixes and learn from the questions you ask him. 

In the spring of 1989 I paid a ridiculous price of $50+ for an oil change, but kept that mechanic on the boat asking questions for over 2 hours and learned Thousands of $$ worth of engine information - beside how to change the oil and filter!!

Another point is that the warranty work is ONLY approved by Frank himself.  He's kind of stingy and I've heard that he only reimburses the dealer about $20/hr labor!!  So they DO complain back to the factory if there's shoddy workmanship. 

A few thoughts.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788