Boat Insurance/Self Survey

Previous topic - Next topic

dave davis

This is a new one for me.
It's called Self-Survey. my Insurance Co. sent me a request to do a Photographic Survey using their one-time flash camera. which they sent to me.They listed instructions to take 22 photographs of various shots throughout the boat. They included shots of things like the hull, fuel fills, hull number, engine, fuel tank and hosing, battery storage, bilge pump, shore power inlet and plugs etc. I went ahead and took all the photos and sent them back to the ins. co.
I found this approach very interesting. In talking to a Marine Surveyor, he thought they requested this survey because my boat is approaching 20 years old. Happy B-Day. #707.
They returned with comments and a list of 7 RECOMMENDATIONS. All of the recommendations need to be answered and brought into compliance. The list of recommendations have to do with smoke detectors, complete fire extinguisher systems, thru hull fittings, fuel hoses types, and Electrical ground requirements. and etc.
I am currently in the middle of all this and as things get finalized, I will let you know the outcome. I hope I do not have to rebuild Wind Dragon. Have any of you been thru all this. If you rather not air it out to the message board, you may send your comments to my Email.  <davis_707@yahoo.com> :cry4`
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Randy Stolze

Have not encountered this but if I did there are a few different insurance companies out there who I would contact before spending mega bucks.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Randy
Randy

sailmed

For what it's worth, I just priced insurance for my C34 MkII, and found that Jack Martin Insurance in Annapolis was able to provide me coverage with a Chubb subsidiary for about 30% less than a Boat US quote, in addition the Jack Martin quote is slighlty better coverage.  Chubb is a superb company.  I was pleasantly surprised.

joe

i insured my recent purchase with american family who then requested a survey. the repair yard at the marina where i keep the boat prepared a one page report with 3 photos. cost $65. this satisfied them. joe
joe hamilton;  1988 catalina hull # 792; fresh water inland lake; "march hare"