Oil Change

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

A few years ago I tried to change the oil and filter using a drill type pump that did not work well.  So I have been paying to have it done ever sence.  But now they are just getting way to high $$$ for somthing so simple.  1. Need to know if there is a Fram oil filter that will work or some other very commen filter. For a Uinversal 25, Boat model year 88.  2.What is the best oil to use. 3.Has anyone had any luck with the ("Oil Boy" Fluid Extractor Kit page 311 of the West 2001 Catlog) or any others that make this message job any easier.  Thanks!

jentine

I installed a So.Pac Qwik-Drain oil changing pump.  The pump has a suction hose that with the use of an oil drain plug adapter removes the oil from the bottom of the pan (along with the sludge that develops) with no mess or fuss.  I simply open the shut-off valve on the top of the pump, place the drain hose into a container and push the button.  The entire process takes less than 3 minutes.  The pump is available from Boat-US and West Marine.

sselinger

Try the Fram PH3593A. I have used it without any problem on my 1990 model Cat 34. It is the short housing version which fits fine by the stock alt. mounting arm.

Concerning the oil change, I use the existing sump drain line with a small brass hand pump. Takes about 2 minutes to drain the pan.

Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

c34member

I have one of the Topsider oil change vacuum pumps.  It is slick. ;-)  30 easy pumps while the engine warms up, open the clamp, come back five minutes later and it's done.  I chose the Topsider because I heard the tall thin types are easier to knock over.  

Use oil that is specifically intended for Diesel engines (It will say "For Diesel Engines" on the label).  I use Kendall SAE 30.  Diesel engines are higher compression and run hotter than gasoline engines.

Kubota (tractors) might have a filter that is interchangable with the Universal version.

charles

Hi, Another oil change question--
My 35B engine calls for 5.X qts.
I can only ever get 3.X qts. out when i chnage the oil. And 3 qts added brings the level to the correct mark on the dipstick.
Is anyone with the 35B engine getting more than 3 qts out when changing oil.
(I use Chevron Delo 400 30W)
(I change every 50hrs including the filter)
Hull #1498

Stu Jackson

1.   Check the C34 website, FAQs, April May 2000, Filter Equivalents.  The different models for different engines are already posted there.

If anyone with newer M35 engines have additions, please send them on to Mark Elkin, the new FAQ associate webmaster, so he can update the FAQ.  Thanks.

2.   I first used Herb Schnieder's ideas for oil changes in the Feb 1990 issue of Mainsheet (you can see it through Tech Notes Online if you are an IC34 Association Member).  Don't ever undo the nut at the bottom of the oil pan.  I used the hose that was attached.  I have more recently used Ron Hill's Par Handy Boy pump method through the dipstick.  Both worked fine for me without the expense and added storage problems of yet another specialty, one-only use piece of equipment.

Use the websearch feature for oil filters, filters, oil changes, and you'll find plenty of opinions.

3.   Charlie L:  if you're not getting it all out, you may need to consider the fact that the oil pan slopes somewhat.  Take a look underneath.  There's been some discussion of this in the past, can't remember where.  If you use the dipstick and can only get 75% out, you'll need to "zoom" the end of the tube that's inside the oil pan around a bit more.  Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Dick Beecham

I also  changed my oil last week and could only extract three quarts from the pan.  I have a
Westerbeke 35B motor which has a hose connected to the rear portion of the lower oil pan.  The manual calls for over 5 quarts.  Any ideas or solutions?

Dick Beecham
Refuge #1430

Roc

The manual is wrong.  The capacity is actually 4 quarts.  Call Universal and they will send you the updated manual.  You'll never get ALL of the oil out because there will be some left in the galleys inside the engine.  When I change mine, I make sure it's warm.  I bought a female thread to fit the male on the hose that is attached to the oil pan.  I connect the female thread to the pump and I just pump it out by hand (the pump that came with the boat).  I can get at least 3-1/2 or more quarts out.

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

karista

I read with interest Stu's warning, "never" to loosen the oil drain nut located on the bottom of the oil pan. I am not sure as to the damage this would cause, I sure would like to know as I have faithfully drained my oil for the last 10 years by slowly removing the oil drain nut located on the oil pan and catching the oil in  a 2 gallon freezer bag. Works great and I am sure this way of having removed as much oil as possible.

Bernd Mueller  :confused:

Stu Jackson

The caution to NOT remove this nut was in a recent Mainsheet, I believe, most likely from Ron Hill.  

The reason, if I remember correctly, is that the washer is not made to be reseated.  I apologize for not remembering the details, just the concept.

And also remember:

"Don't let the nut holding the wheel get tight!

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Norris Johnson

I contacted Westerbeke about the amount of oil I drained from my M35B and they conformed it shouldn't be but 3.5 qts. They sent me a updated version of their Operating Manual and it had the correction in it. I use the brass pump that came with my engine and I do remove the drain plug to be sure it is all out. It hasn't leaked yet, but next time I will go to the parts house to see if they have a soft washer replacement. I would suggest people e-mail Westerbeke about any questions they might have. I found them very helpful. Also, e-mail Fram for any filter cross-referencing, they are also helpful.

Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

jrupinsk

I've been using the hand pump and pump the old oil into a gallon plastic jug, then take a clean gallon plastic jug and match up the quantity of new next to the old.  This has been a time saver and gets the same amount in that came out.
I siphon out of the dipstick as I was never able to get that drain hose off the bracket.  Also, my drain hose chafed from being against the mounting block, so I put a chafe guard on it.