water leek from cabin vent

Previous topic - Next topic

GRAEME JACKSON

hi all
has any body had this problem of water dripping from the vetus brand vent above the nav station
checked sealant all ok
has beeen dripping for days
never had this before

Ron Hill

Graeme : I'd suggest that you take the vent apart (outside and from the inside) and see if a leaf or something is the cause of your sudden leak. 
You said Vetus, so I assume that your boat is a 1986/87 or 88.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Graeme

Read my Dorade Replacement article in the tech notes in a recent Mainsheet.  After replacing the dorades, we found the leak was coming from the traveler bar.  I'll bet that's what your problem is, too.  Take up the bar and reseal it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

GRAEME JACKSON

yes it is a 86 hull no.29
taken dorade apart resealed still comes in
maybe from traveller
does any body know what is inside the traveller mount
looks as though it is hollow
have taken long bolt out that goes through cabin and water leaks from hole

Stu Jackson

Graeme

Yeah, it could be hollow, but it just doesn't matter.

You wrote: "have taken long bolt out that goes through cabin and water leaks from hole"

This is pretty much what happened to us.  The water came in under the traveler and migrated over to the dorade base and came in there.  See August 2005 Tech Notes.

Of course, that's a very important bolt.  Leave it out, to let the hole dry, or maybe use a hair dryer to assist. 

Then, seal the top of the entire base of the traveler car. It wouldn't. hurt to seal the base of the screw/bolt heads at the top of the traveler.  Make sure you PUT the long bolt BACK IN.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."