Honda EU2000i Generator

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

OK, I did it.  I bought a Honda EU200i generator.  I've considered just about every other option available for AC power at anchor, and this one makes the most sense.  The EU200i even has an option allaying my aversion to CO poisoning!  With a $165 attachment, the unit's exhaust is now CO2 and water vapor! (Now, if I can just route the exhaust water vapor into the water tank I'll have a nice, tight little ecosystem.) Here is the link to the USCarburetion website.

Mike

Ron Hill

Mike : I think that you'll be happy with your Honda.  After much cruising, I found my H1000 to be "the way to go" - if you want to keep the fridge running.  I found that setting mine on a foam "scrubbing pad" (that you kneel on), eliminates any vibration.
Out of curiosity, where do you plan on storing your H2000 when it's not in use?  :clap
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Smith

Ron -

On Breezer, probably just inside the "Garage" (Aft stateroom) on the sole next to the engine access door, but I have some other land based applications for it, so it's going to be on and off the boat.  It is a portable unit weighing 46 lbs (one T105 weighs 62 lbs).  I keep the standard size propane tank mounted off the stern railing, next to my Force 10 barbecue grill.  I purchased a 12' hose with the conversion kit, but I haven't sited the unit yet - unlike DC wiring I think I could  use any length hose I want with quick disconnect fittings. In operation during the day, I might have it in front of the mast depending on how burning propane smells. With the CO problem eliminated, I'll probably have it in the cockpit at night, but I haven't completely commited to anything yet. I'll let you know how things work out.

Mike

PAUL T.

Mike...... Your setup looks like a great idea. I wonder how long you can run on a tank of gas?    DON,T be so sure about not producing any CO, you can get CO from gas appliances. People die every year from gas heaters malfunctioning, propane or natural gas........JUST A THOUGHT PAUL.

Mike Smith

Paul -

I'm a fanatic about CO - my brother and his family almost died from a malfunctioning furnace up in Alexandria, VA a few years back.  This is funny - I was driving to work yesterday,  just idly thinking about batteries, inverters, chargers, generators, etc - where to put this, how to wire that, and so on.  I stopped behind a truck at a stoplight and was just kind of staring at it and then I noticed a sticker come into focus on the truck that read "Powered By Propane".  "(Explicative deleted)", I said, "That's it!"  As soon as I got to my office, I Googled "Generator Propane Conversion" and landed on the USCarburetion website.  I read everything on the site, and ordered the EU2000i conversion kit.  Even one of their testimonials is from a guy right here in Gulf Breeze, FL.  So, AC problem is solved, I think.  I will just plug the EU2000i into the shoreside receptical, crank it up, and turn the Ship/Shore AC power switch to Shore. I will still have a 450AH battery bank (four T105s) and a Truecharge 40 so I will have ample DC power for all the DC circuits and Xantrex 1750 Prowatt inverter for when I forget to fill up the propane tank!

Mike

Mike Smith

A standard 20 lb cylinder (barbecue grill/Cajun Cooker type) holds approximately 5 gallons of propane. USCarburetor says the gas/propane conversion raito is 1:1, i.e., 1 gal of gas = 1 gal of propane. The EU2000i literature claims 4 hours runtime with 1 gal of gas (its internal gas tank capacity is 1.1 gal) under full load, and 14 hours runtime under 1/4 load. So, if they are to be believed, I should get somewhere between 20 hours runtime under full load and 70 hours runtime under 1/4 load with a full 20 lb (5 gal) cylinder. Even our small (8 lb ?) Seward type tanks could provide 8 hours runtime under full load and 28 hours under 1/4 load, assuming 1 gal = 4 lbs of propane.  Of course, "On paper it looks pretty good", as Bonnie Rait says.  I'll do some benchmark runs when it's delevered next week.

Forecast is rain all weekend so we probably won't get out - good day for some spring cleaning on Breezer.

Mike

Ron Hill

Mike : You might ask Honda if their propane gen set can be stored on it's side (can't do it with the gasoline 4 stroke model).  Don't know if there's any internal oil in a reservoir or not.  They can tell you.  
If it can lie on it's side, you can store it in the port side cockpit locker.
A thought.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Smith

Ron -

I was wondering about that when Paul was considering cutting into the floor of the locker to deepen it!  On small gas engines which use an oil/gas mixture like chainsaws and hedge trimmers, you can operate them at any angle (as long as the fuel cap is screwed on tight) because the fuel is also the lubricant for the engine.  With an engine like a lawnmower the gas and oil are separate and the oil settles into a sump which is then pumped to the cylinder, et al  for lubrication, so it can't be inverted or operated on it's side.  The gas and oil are not mixed for the EU200i.  However, it may be able to be stored on it's side.  I'll check the user's manual when it arrives.

Mike

Ron Hill

Mike : Looking at your posted picture I assumed that your Honda is run by PROPANE.
My Honda 1000 is a 4 cycle gasoline engine with an oil reservoir so you CAN'T lay it on it's side.  
Any engine that mixes oil in the gasoline is a 2cycle engine and can be stored/operated on it's side.

If your Honda has a gasoline engine - what's the purpose of the propane bottle/tank????
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Mike : Now I'm beginning to understand the system that you bought.

It's a Honda 2000W with a 4 cycle gasoline engine that has a carburetor that has been converted to burn propane!!!  So you still have a 4 cycle engine with an oil reservoir, so the engine cannot be operated or stored on it's side.  It must stay straight up.

The advantage must be the reduced/lack of carbon monoxide exhaust.  Now you need to carry a larger propane source.  The only advantage I found with the 2000W over the 1000W, is that the 2000W can supply current to operate the electric hot water heater.  It takes about 2500W to operate a airconditioner.

I elected to go for the gasoline Honda 1000W for the storage capability in the port cockpit locker.  The CO hazard in minimal/none by operating the Honda on in the port walkway with those side ports closed(the AC electric fans operate below with the gen ON).  I do have to carry a small 1 1/2 gal container of pure gasoline for the Honda, but that gasoline can be mixed with oil for use in the dink engine if necessary.

A few thoughts.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Smith

Ron -

You're right - it's the CO issue that I'm mostly concerned about.  It's not that big a deal if the generator is operated on and off during the day when we are up and about, but the main load is going to be a Mermaid M5 air conditioner I'm installing just to cool the forepeak all night at anchor while we sleep. The M5 is a water cooled AC unit rated at 5200 BTU, power consumption is only 506 Watts, it draws 4.4 amps, and  weighs only 35 lbs.  As you know, I've been considering an enlarged battery bank (900AH) to power it for some time now, but with the multi-use EU2000i converted to propane that just doesn't make sense any more.  As far as getting a larger tank is concerned, I routinely carry a 20 lb propane tank during weekend cruises just for the BBQ grill.  I think this is the way to go.  Can't wait to try it out!

Mike