Hot Springs/Barkley Sound

Previous topic - Next topic

fulvio

My plan for this summer is to head up to Hot Springs and/or Barkley Sound, sometime in September or late August.  I miss the ocean swells, and the wide open water!

Just wanted to put it out there, in case someone has similar plans and we can meet up along the way.  Also, tips and local info are welcome.
929 Soliton 1989
Seattle, WA

Ray & Sandy Erps

That sounds like a great trip.  I know quite a few fellas that go up to Barkley Sound to do some fishing but have never been there myself.  I'm pretty familiar with the fog we typically get in the Strait in August, how is the fog situation further up towards Barkley Sound?  How many days do you typically take to get there? and what's your usual route?

The wife and I have talked many times about heading out to Neah Bay and then just sailing one day out, turn around and sail one day back just to get a taste of ocean sailing, keeping watches and sailing at night.  It's still on our list of things to do but so far we've always used our limited vacation times for the known quantity of Desolation Sound and it's warm weather.  I'm very interested in hearing more about your plans and your experiences if you've been up there before.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

fulvio

I have never been up there myself.
Once I got to Neah Bay, got pinned down by storms there for two weeks, and then turned the wrong way past Cape Flattery  :wink:

This year I won't have as much vacation to go south again  :cry4` , so I had exactly the same idea you had, and I figured I could go further up instead of just turning back.  I heard a lot of good things about Barkley and Tofino, but my plans are still a little vague, including the dates.

I'll let you know more as the vacation consolidates a little.
929 Soliton 1989
Seattle, WA