Rear cabin "legroom"

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Weir

I am a Catalina Capri 26 owner looking forward to owning a C4 "when I grow up". I have heard some negative comments on the C36 site about the limited "kneeroom" in the aft berth. Is the situation similar in the 34? How comfortable is the aft cabin?

kenkillian

I don't know how tall you are, but at 5'11, there is no problem with legroom.  I don't have the measurements, but I think that is of little concern.  There is a drop in the ceiling, and you (if you are like me) are more apt to bump your head moving in and out of the bed; at least until you have hit it enough times to permanently remember it.  I know of several C34 owners that prefer the vberth, but for other reasons than head or knee room.

Larry Calfee

We find the Aft berth comfortable with the exception of having to crawl over each other when trying to get out at night.   We would really prefer a center line berth which you would have with the forward vee berth.  We have tried both areas and find the aft cabin most comfortable.  I am 5'10" and find no problems with knee room.  We have even gotten a custom mattress which is thicker than the standard cushions and still have no problems.  There is a lot of room above your head and upper torso so sitting up to read is quite comfortable.

Bill Sedgwick

At risk of starting a battle and contrary to what Larry Calfee says, the forward berth is most confortable. However, I agree that the worst problem with the aft berth is bumping one's head. Unfortunately, I usually wear a cap on the boat which restrict my upward vision, so it's the cap's fault that I always bump my head entering the aft berth. But the berth is huge and, except for inflicting brain damage, is very good for a 34' boat. Give it a try, then use the v-berth.

George Sedgwick
SchatzSea #1031
George W (Bill) & Jo Ann Sedgwick
SchatzSea #1031

Stu Jackson

Brian

The C34 and C36 are somewhat different in the aft berth.  Yes, there are folks who actually use the V berth to sleep.  My crew still can't figure how they get in and out of the berth at night if required, as compared to the aft cabin, although she does get the forward position.  Many folks use the aft cabin as a garage to store stuff and sleep up forward.  

There is no "right" place to sleep: your boat, your choice.

While I have been somewhat successful in "hiding" most boat related stuff, we tend to work hard to keep both of the berths clear.  We sleep in the aft cabin because that's one of the main reasons why we bought the boat: it's big, roomy, comfortable, and closer to the waterline. Our son, when he comes with us, uses the V berth as his "room" and we have a TV/VCR combo on the top of the starboard locker, which we converted from a hanging locker to one with shelves, much better use of the space.  

We had a C25 for 11 years before Aquavite.  The head knocker does happen occasionally, with or without a cap!  But leg room and head room is superb.  The two cabin reading lights are well located, and it's very comfortable.  With the two portlights closed, but not shut completely, we can even sleep in past dawn because there's not a whole lot of light, which is great! Record was 10 a.m.

The aft cabin is also great for access to the stuffing box.

One other thing not mentioned so far:  if you keep your full sized salon table (without cutting it down to cocktail table size), the salon area is huge if you drop the table and put the insert in.  We put the TV on the nav station and "hung out" in the lap of luxury.  It was so great once that we just stayed there all night!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fulvio

I use the aft cabin for sleeping.  The main reason is that the V-berth is much better suited as a "walk-in" closet - everything I throw on there is within easy reach.  The aft cabin may be able to hold more stuff, but if you fill it up, it will become really hard to get to the back.

The aft cabin has some disadvantages, too, however:  reefer noise, diesel heater noise, engine noise (if underway).  Also, if you are at anchor and want to take a nap, the crew will most likely hang out in the cockpit, i.e. right above your head, and you'll hear everything they say and every step they take.  

Space, though, knee or head, has never been a concern for me.  Yes, I have bumped my head many times.   :mad:

Personally, I also like how bright the V-berth is, and the feeling of being so much higher above the waterline.  But the V-berth is much harder to get out/in of.

Hull#753

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this issue: perhaps it only happens at Catalina Island, but when on "a can" there, the night swell can really rock the boat.  V-berth sleepers get a different sensation/reaction than those zzzzzzz in the aft cabin, as their axes are different by 90 degrees.  It's a matter of whether you prefer being rocked to sleep side-to-side or head-to-toe.

kenkillian

You could say that you are giving up some privacy, but that is pretty subjective, but our answer to the access problem in the vberth was to remove the door.  We replaced it with a curtain.  My wife and I use the rear salon, and any guests use the vberth and the curtain  - privacy is their problem.

Ken Juul

It was the aft berth that sold us on the boat.  V berths tend to have a slope.  We are both active sleepers, on our previous boat, half way through the night, had to reposition to keep from falling out!

We added an "egg crate" mattress pad, hides the creases in the cushions.  If sleeping in is planned, placing the hatch boards at an angle in front of the cabin window kills any direct sunlight but still allows for ventalation.  I'm 6', wife is 5'10, both easily fit. We usually throw the round pillows to the foot of the bed and still have plenty of leg room.  Head room has been commented on.  Come on, its a sail boat....I've been on a couple of boats in the 50' range that still had head knockers!

Echo the previous remark about dropping the table and placing the tv over the nav station.  Almost as comfortable as a "Lazy Boy".
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

and have since moved to the forward cabin.  It's HUGE and so way wide that I have to send telegraph messages just to say "goodnight!"

Thought I'd bring this up again for grins and giggles, since there's been so many technical disussions lately   :abd:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sail4dale

We use the Vee berth and after 18 years in a Cat30 where the vee berth was too small we love it.

I'm 6'6" and the First Mate is 6" and we fit there nicely.  Getting up i the night does require a "technique" but it is better that bumping heads in the aft cabin and the necessary "crawling over" to make your exit if you're the aft sleeper.   It's quieter too  :sleepy:

Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Sailor Vic

When we purchased our 2005 34mkII we were "sold" on the aft cabin for sleeping.  It was touted by Catalina and our sales person, as well as it looked to us like it was a nice size.

After only one night we changed our minds.

The fact that one of us has to crawl over the other in very tight quarters made it where we decided that the v-berth was much better (for us).

As a matter of fact, I liked our aft berth in our former 2002 C-250 better than our C-34 as I didn't have to crawl over my wife.

In addition, our refrigerator condensor unit is right next to the aft bert and is way too noisy in my opinion. I must admit though that none of our sleeping guests so far have complained and so maybe that's just my quirky perception of a noisy refrigeration unit.

So we sleep soundly in our forward v-berth which is plenty spacious and comfortable for us.

:D

Vic
2005 MKII - Letting Go  - #1688
Marina Village - Gate 11 - Alameda, Calif.

Ron Hill

At anchor on a warm night, the Vberth is the only cabin that really get any cooling breeze. 
In the early spring or late fall when it's cool, the aft cabin by the engine is warmer.   :sleepy:
Ron, Apache #788

ross99

Well, when you get into your 60s and aren't concerned about using either the Vberth or aft as a "lovenest" every night, other comforts come into play.  My First Mate likes to watch TV/DVD's, etc  late into the evening, and I prefer relative quiet.  We have the TV atop the Stb locker by the nav desk, she sleeps on the lowered salon table/berth, and I take the V Berth. 
I,m currently in process of installing an A/C system which should finally make the aft berth more livable --  if all goes well I might shift back there, tho SWMBO will likely always prefer her TV!

tommyt

When making a decision on what boat to buy in 2004 we spent quite a bit of time at a Strictly Sail in Chicago in and out of boats. When we narrowed the search to the Catalina 34 or 36 the aft cabin was the final decision maker. Loved the salon layout of the 36 for our use (boat is also in charter) but must have gone back and forth between the two 10 times trying to figure out the aft cabin.

These boats have duplicate dimensions in the cockpit so we could not figure out why the cover hanging down from the top of the aft end of the aft berth was so much lower on the 36.The cover is for the sterering gear. I think that this is probably the knee or hip knocker that is referred to. On the 34 if you are way aft in the aft cabin you can still turn over without touching. In the 36 it hangs at least 6 inches lower and really is in the way when turning over. Never did get an explanation on the "why" for this, maybe someone on the board has a clue.

Interesting though, when we are cruising we use the salon table berth and the V birth for comfort.
Tom Mallery, C34 #1697, 2004 MKII, Splash Dance