Electric Fuel Pump

Previous topic - Next topic

bhatter

Ron

I referenced your November 2003 Mainsheet article regarding the NAPA fuel pumps.  The $134 pump(#610-1011) looks just like the original on my 1987 Catalina 34.  The other pump was referenced as 610-51 but NAPA had it as 610-1051.  Its called a Posi-Flo.  Did I purchase the correct one?   It is considerably smaller than the original.  I assume that I will have to modify the mount.  

I also purchased an in-line fuse.  Any suggestions regarding how heavy a fuse to install?  

Thanks for your guidance

Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Hull #459
Member since 11/03

Stu Jackson

Bill

There was an update to the Mainsheet article.

Using the search engine on this board for electric fuel pump, try this, and also check the references in this post:

http://www.c34ia.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1643&highlight=electric+fuel+pump

Should begin to answer your question about fuel pump part #s.

I don't know about the fuse.  I'd suggest starting at 5 amps to see if it blows.  I'd guess it's a low amp draw.  Maybe someone else knows.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

APACHE

Bill : Stu our C34 Librarian had probably given you a good reference.

Yes , there was a typo on the pump # it should have been 1051.
As I mentioned in the Mainsheet article,  the pump "body/guts" are the same , it just doesn't have the built in filter.  Just make sure that your Racor is first in line after the fuel tank.  That way the pump will get filtered fuel.  
The "new" electronic pumps are sure nice and you don't have to replace them every 5/6years like the old mechanical ones.  :wink:

Mike Vaccaro

Bill,

Spec sheet for the pump should specify a fuse size.  If not, a call to the manufacturer or internet search should do the trick.  If no information at all is available the fuse should be sized in accordance with the wiring in the pump circuit.

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

APACHE

Bill : I forgot to add that I'd try a 7 1/2 amp fuse.   :wink:

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."