just bought c34 #219

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Kaplan

just bought 1986 c34, tall rig, shoal draft. excellent cond. Shaffer furling system and new 135% head sail 2 years old. 1,300 hrs. on diesel, runs great. looking for ideas to refinish stairs going down to cabin, varnish,polyurethane,neither? has a slight odor from holding tank and locker that houses hoses.any suggestions main section of cabin floor needs to be replaced along with piece in front of galley, call catalina or take to area mill? any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. moved up from c27 which i had for 11 years. quite a difference. thanks...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

Jeff : You can look around, but may find that a new piece of teak/holly sole my be TOO expensive.   Call Catalina Parts and get a piece of Loincoin. Cut it to size and place it over the existing stained sole - that's what I did.
A thought.
Ron, Apache #788

Philip Imhof

SteveLyle

Refinish stairs:  I used a spar varnish on the companionway and steps (Interlux Schooner specifically) since this area gets a lot of UV.  

Odor - some have replaced the hoses, some have replaced both hoses and the holding tank.  I've got the same deal - I plan to do hoses first, then evaluate.  Lots of posts on this topic.

Search for 'head odor' and I think you'll find a test to perform - something along the lines of placing a wet cloth on the hose/tank - if you come back later and the odor's in the rag, then you know that component is saturated, so plan on replacing it.

Catalina or mill - try Catalina - their price is usually tough to beat.  Downside is they'll probably want the original part to use as a pattern - if the cost is similar, go local.  That central part is pretty bit/ungainly, I'd try to avoid shipping it if I could.

Ed Shankle

Jeff,
I'd use teak oil on the stairs, not varnish. Two reason; you'll scratch up the varnish and wear it down; also it can get slippery when wet. Better traction on oiled wood.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gene Regan

:D  :D  :D  :D
Welcome aboard , Hope you enjoy the boat. All the help you'll ever need and more is here for you. Keep us posted as to your progress with the project

HydroTherapy

Jeff,

It was a big job but I changed the hoses for the head last year.  What a difference!!!  It took me two days.  I used a hair dryer to heat the hoses to get off/on.

Good luck,

David

Stu Jackson

Jeff

Try this:

http://www.c34ia.org/mainsheet/images/Pg20+21a.jpg

Scroll around and down to the right.

Also read the post I sent today to bh, and try a search on WEBLOG.

All the best,
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Tom Glennon

Hello, and congrats on your purchase!

The interior of my 1987 catalina 34 was gloss varnished but the stairs were just oiled, and didn't really compliment the rest of the woodwork.
I got a tip from somewhere in the projects I believe, and over the winter I gloss varnished the wood on the stairs, bing careful to not get any in the grooves.  Then I taped around alternating grooves, and then filled each with black polysulfide.  Not only do they look great, but the polysulfide adds function by filling the grooves and eliminating the bothersome dust and debris that accumulates there, but also adds traction underfoot.

I have been with this for two seasons now, with no slips, and no dirt!
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Stu Jackson

Jeff Kaplan

I don't know why this was posted when this is very old news.  Oh well, boat is covered for the winter, see her in a few months.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma