Weaver Davits Option

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I have just installed an alternative to traditional davits.  I thought I would share this since I didn't find too much information on Weaver Davits used with sailboats when I was researching.  

I have an old  8' old fiberglass dinghy that I use.  On trips I have typically towed it, but it seems to reduce my speed by a knot.  Since I have a walk-out transom, I have also tipped it up on the transom and tied it to the stern pulpit, but it was a two-man job to lift up and strap down.  Because of space requirements and cost, I didn't like the idea of traditional arm davits that hold the dinghy horizontal.  I also thought that water collection in the dinghy could be an issue.  When I found the Weaver Davits, it looked good, but there was no explanation on exactly how it mounted or how the parts work.  I also couldn't find a single picture of one installed on a sailboat.  

I found a set of Weaver Davits for hard-dinghies for $189 at BoatersWorld, so I took a gamble and ordered it.  When it arrived, it became clearer how the parts worked, and also how well it was designed.  I felt it looked good enought to install, so with drill in hand I headed to the boat with only minor anxiety.  I installed the two triangular rings to the transom lip, just outboard of where the swim ladder lays when deployed.  They took three holes each and a trip into the lazerette to install the washers and nuts.  I also needed longer bolts.  Next was the hook part which goes on the dinghy.  They also took three holes each, and one big ugly 3" fender washer.  The hooks have a spring loaded clip that securely attaches to the rings on the transom.  To mount the dink, simply clip it on.  Then with a rope on the far side ourlock, pull the dinghy up on it's side into a vertical position.  Tie it off or use a standoff and you are done.  To deploy it, untie it and drop it in the water (splashdown).  Then unclip it from the transom.  The hooks on the dinghy can be swung parallel to the railing, making them surprisingly unobtrusive for rowing.  

Pro's of this system:  Low cost, very little hardware left on the boat when the dinghy is not attached, requires less slip space for the mounted dinghy, no need to mess with or forget the drain plug in the dink, very easy to deploy and pick up.

Con's:  Drilling into both the boat and dinghy.  You cannot deploy the swim ladder with the dinghy mounted.  Two rings on the transom could be in the way, although they are less obtrusive than the swim ladder when deployed.  Hooks on the dinghy could also be in the way, but it looks good so far.      

I'm sorry that I didn't snap a picture of it yet.  I'll get one next weekend if anybody is interested.

Weaver Davits: http://store.weaverindustries.com/merchant.cfm?step=4&pid=1

Best picture of how it works: http://www.hurricaneibc.com/parts.htm

Let me know if you are looking for more information.

reedbr

Sorry that was posted under Guest.  I was logged in before I posted it, so I don't know how that happened.
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

Ken Juul

A dockmate has them installed on his C36MkII.  Work great.  I think they would also work well on a 34MkII.   I did some rough measurements on my MKI, Because the transom is so much narrower I don't think they will work.  When heeled, the end of the dingy would be dragging in the water.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Roc

Ken,
How about if you mount the holding clips on the transom of the dinghy.  It will then be positioned on the boat's transom upright, instead of on it's side.  That will cut out any overhang.  

Just a thought, don't know if it will work...
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ken Juul

Unfortunately I have an inflatable, the cone shaped points of the aft sides just won't work.  Dockmate also has an inflatable, think it's 6-7' so it works on the sides and still gives him enough clearance.  My 9.6 is just too big.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

reedbr

An interesting note on the Weaver davits is that the "inflatable kit" is reversed.  The rings go on the dinghy, the spring loaded clips mount on the boat.  The dinghy attachment needs to be glued on and looks more like a metal rod.  I agree though Ken, I think your inflatable is too big to work well or look acceptable when mounted on the transom.  Traditional arm davits or Dinghy-Tow would probably be the best bet.
Brian Reed
St. Mary's River, MD

John Sheehan

My used dingy came with Weaver mounts since the previous owner used them on his 45' motorboat.  I called Weaver to order some hooks to install on the transom of our Mark II 34 and they advised me not to use the mounts on sailboats since the dingy could get caught by a wave when heeling.  On our trip across the Gulf to the keys this spring we had some waves where that could have been a problem.  Just might be careful.  We hoist our hard dingy with the extra jib halyard and mount it forward of the mast well lashed down.

John Sheehan
Sea Shell
# 1642  MK II
John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

reedbr

I just got back from a week cruise and was able to observe the Weaver davit system closely while sailing.  I encountered some good beating days in 3-4' seas and one day of 5-6' following seas on a broad reach and the dink rode well on the davits.  However, at 7.5' long, my dink fits within the width of and closely to my MkII transom.  I can see though how 8' would probably be the maximum length dinghy that would fit on a MkII before it hung over the edges.  If it was longer, I see where it could catch waves at full heal.   I think Weaver is missing a market by discouraging sailors from using their product at all.  My dockmate has a Beneteau 331 and his transom is wider than mine.  He could probably fit a 9' dink easy.  Overall I'm still happy with the product fit, function, and cost and would recommend it to MkII owners.  I don't think it would work on narrower MkI transoms.

Also, backing into a slip with the dink attached was as simple as without it.  Overall the only down-side to the system is that you have to deploy the dink to use the swim ladder.  This was really a non-issue though since it was so easy, and I used the swim ladder almost every night.  I still need to pull the pictures off the camera and post them.
Brian Reed
St. Mary's River, MD

reedbr

To my surprise when going through the latest Mainsheet, there's my post on Weaver Dinghy Davits.  Well, it reminded me I never posted those pictures.  I dug them up-- better late than never.  I know it would be helpful if I had one showing the dinghy in the upright position, but I don't have a clean shot of that yet.

Again, let me know if you have any questions.
Brian Reed
St. Mary's River, MD