inards of the boom end cap, forward end

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Shankle

Pulled off the sail cover yesterday and found the boom swinging free of the goose neck. The hexagon bold that is in the middle of the end cap was pulled out, still attached to the goose neck. Remnants of a cotter pin attached to the end that goes inside the boom. Of course the end cap screws are frozen, so I'll be working on those and swearing profusely, but what I'd like to find out in advance is, just what the attachment looks like inside the boom for that hex bolt, in case there are other parts that may need to be replaced.

thanks,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ed Shankle

Thanks Stu. Unfortunately Craigs link is defunct, the MainSheet picture referenced isn't in Aug96 and the manual doesn't show enough detail of the forward end inside of the boom.
I'm really just interested in the hex bolt attachment.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Salem, MA

Stu Jackson

One of the suggestions in the link was to do a search on outhaul.  There are many topics and one of the many may have that information.  Don't know if the manual has it, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Soko

Ed,
Here is a pic of the boom cap, forward end, of my '87 C36.  Not much there except a washer and cotter pin.  Hope this helps.

While you are at it, you might want to upgrade the outhaul.  That's what the rest of the "stuff" is in the pic.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

StephenK

Ed,

I don't know if this will help or not. I sail a 1995 36MKII and had the same problem this past weekend...couldn't find any pictures. My screws came out ok, but getting the cap off was a bugger....some PB blaster soaking overnight helped out.

Anyway, my pin was a round 3/16 stainless pin. I bought a piece of 3/16 stainless at a local hardware store and cut it to size....problem solved.

Ed Shankle

Tom, thanks for the pic; that showed me exactly what I was looking for. didn't know if I was going to find additional pieces of stuff, besides the outhaul gear, when I finally get the end cap off.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Salem, MA

Ron Hill

Ed : There should be a diagram in your owners manual.  

If there isn't a diagram (like happened to my owners manual), I posted a copy in the Mainsheet and here on the web site.

While on the topic.  If you happen to take off the boom attachment on the goose neck end, I found that Catalina installed a "swiveling" block (vrs a fixed block).  This cause the out haul lines to twist and unable to be tightened.  The same thing can happen to the main sheet line if there are swivelling blocks on the boom.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788