Bedding Bolts

Previous topic - Next topic

Re and Frank Puff #691

Thanks for the ideas.  The FAQ would work well with the flat base of the stanchion.  With the clutch the base is not flat except for perhaps a half to three quarter inch around each bolt.  The forward bolts can only be reached from the top by slipping a screw driver down through the forward part of the clutch!  The after bolts are more available but not with a razor blade.

My problem was that I tried the stanchion method and think I may have sealed up around the perimeter of the clutch but not the two forward bolts, they still leak.  Now I worry that water will enter teh cllutch from the top and be trapped in the cavities, rotting out the wooden pedestal.

I guess I coud take the clutch apart but don't know if I could get it back together.

Help :confused:

Stu Jackson

Frank

If I understand your problem, the front of the clutch is not flat on the bottom.  It has a little protrusion.  Given that, there should still be no reason you cannot countersink the hole for those locations, so the protrusion fits down into the countersunk portion of the hole in the deck.  As previously noted by a respondent, you'll just need to seal the entire hole.  If you want more security, oversise the hole, expoxy the sides of the hole that show wood,(or fill it all in and redrill), then use the sealant.  Be sure to let the sealant dry a day or so before doing the final tightening.  Tighten only the nuts from below, don't turn the screws, which would break the seal.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Frank,  It also occurred to me that you also need to put sealant in the hole where the bolt passes through the bottom of the clutch.  This will keep water from getting from the base of the clutch down underneath it.  Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."