Fuel Filtration 101 & Racor fuel filter numbers

Previous topic - Next topic

kmorton16@comcast.net

For a Catalina 34 Mark II, want help on model number of Racor fuel filter & Racor number of the 2 micron replacement element.
Ken Morton - Trident - 1300

reedbr

I don't want to contradict the master (Ron), but my '97 mkII takes a Racor 15S and the installation is height restricted against taller  filters.  Boat US stocks the 15S but it certainly isn't their most popular filter so don't expect it on a store shelf.

Two other interesting notes.  I just found out the S stands for 2 micron, T is 10 micron, and P is 30 micron.  My yard says that Yanmar is now recommeding 30 micron filters for all their engines.  I don't beleive it, but I don't have a Yanmar either so I guess it doesn't matter.

Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
Solomons, MD
Brian Reed
St. Mary's River, MD

kmorton16@comcast.net

For the record, my 1996 Catalina 34 MKII takes a 15S Racor fuel filter element.
Ken - Trident - 1300

Chuck

Just to add to the discussion, my 2002 C34 (Glory #1602) has a Racor R15P.  Interesting.

cwmarine@aol.com

reedbr

Chuck-

Was that 15P (30 micron I think) original equipment on your 2002?

Brian Reed
Solomons, MD
Brian Reed
St. Mary's River, MD

c34member1

Brian,

Sorry for the delayed response.  Anyhow, I believe that you are correct regarding the 15P filter being 30 micron.  

Chuck
2002 C34MKII "Glory"

Ted Pounds

If you really do have a 30 micron filter it's probably a good idea to move down to a 2 micron filter.  The smaller the junk you can filter out the better.  Just a thought...

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

RACOR FUEL FILTER NUMBERS

From the Racor 220/225R Spin-on Series Manual:

R24S 220R, 2 micron replacement element

R24T 220R, 10 micron replacement element

R24P 220R, 30 mciron

R26S 225R, 2 micron

R26T 225R, 10 micron

R26P 225R, 30 micron

S - 2 micron BROWN; T - 10 micron BLUE; P - 30 micron  RED

As I recall from being in the store on Monday, the 15 series is a much thinner (shorter) filter.

The manual covers two different separators, the 220R and 225R.  220R is for 30 gph, the 225R is for 45 gph, I'd bet we have the 220Rs.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SeaFever

Stu,

What is the minimum GPH needed for the primary fuel filter M25? I didn't see that in the manual. Since the boats were fitted with 220Rs as you mention, 30GPH would be safe. Just wanted to know if there was a spec.

Mahendra
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Stu Jackson

30 gph is WAY over sized for the pump.  The engine consumes less than 1/2 gph when running at cruising speed, so all the rest is recirculated.  

Try this pump resource: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2515.15.html

As far as the filters go, I'm not sure we're dealing with a minimum flow issue, but rather what is available on the market for use that are reliable and have been proven in use.

There are basically two choices:

1.  Racor 200R Diesel Fuel Filter Water Separators.  The bodies are $130 and the filters are $25.

2.  Racor Turbine series, where the housings are $260, but the filters are only $13.

Some folks suggest that the more expensive body saves $$ on filters down the line.  Given one filter change a year, that's a pretty long payback period.

There may be other vendors of fuel filter systems out there, but the ubiquitous nature of the "Racor" family makes the filter elements pretty easy to find.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

There have been a couple of Mainsheet articles where people have installed a second Racor filter for a fuel "polishing" system. 
It usually is a 10 micron polishing filter with a 2 micron filter going to the injection pump. 
Ron, Apache #788

SeaFever

Stu,

Thanks for the quick response. The 0.5 GPH consumption is an average fuel consumption. When we rev the engine it must be consuming higher volume, even for a short period. Hence the max GPH that the fuel filter should pass has to be significantly higher. That would mean a 15GPH (0.5x30) fuel filter would also work fine, eh? Wonder why people would go for a 30GPH or higher. The 500FG or 500MA are 60 GPH! We would be just pushing the fuel back to the tank most of the time.

Ron,

Would that mean that they have a primary fuel filter (say 10-30Microns), a fuel polishing filter (say 10 Micron), followed by the fuel pump, and then the engine mounted secondary fuel filter (say 2 Micron)? Just wanted to make sure I understand the fuel system design you mentioned above.

Thanks guys,

Mahendra
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: SeaFever on December 04, 2009, 02:45:19 PM
The 0.5 GPH consumption is an average fuel consumption. When we rev the engine it must be consuming higher volume, even for a short period. Hence the max GPH that the fuel filter should pass has to be significantly higher. That would mean a 15GPH (0.5x30) fuel filter would also work fine, eh? Wonder why people would go for a 30GPH or higher. The 500FG or 500MA are 60 GPH! We would be just pushing the fuel back to the tank most of the time.

I agree, only point is that "the use of the available" rule strikes here, too.  That's what is on the market and what is used by nearly every single American boat builder.  "They" just don't make anything else applicable, so if it's too big for the intended use, but still works, that's what we use.

If you look in the WM catalogs, those are the smallest flow filters available.  I'm sure if you checked Parker's (Racor's) website, you most likely not find anything much smaller.

Since the fuel flow is not governed by the filter, but rather by the use of the engine, and then by the electric fuel pump, whatever fuel is not being used by the engine is indeed being "polished," which is why I'm not so keen on installing a separate fuel polishing "system."  The one advantage of dual filters is replacing one if it gets clogged.

Maine Sail had a good observation on filter micron sizes just recently, here:  http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=114152

There's also further discussion in a more recent topic:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6475.0.html

Ron Hill

Mah : Let's start over:
The filter mounted on the engine is 10/15 microns.  The Racor filter between the engine filter and the tank is usually a 2 micron Racor. 
The fuel polishing filter (10 micron) is a separate filter on a separate fuel line to only circulate fuel thru that line back into the tank.  Read the articles on this topic.
Universal engines with a fuel bleed valve have NO fuel returning back to the tank - if that valve remains closed.  That's why I recommend that you keep that valve about 1/4 to 1/2 turn open.
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

Ron,
I closed my bleed valve last time I changed the filter. Explain again why you recomend that it be left partially open.

Thanks,
Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35