Rigging a Preventer

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Moving along with my Barber Hauler for the Jib.

Now working on a Preventer, wondering which setup you guys have?

I have all the parts needed, just need to determine the best location for the upper and lower attachments.

Current idea is:
... Line from Aft Boom Bale
... Down to a block by the toe rail abaft the shrouds (1/4" U-Bolt with Backing plate)
... Aft to a cam cleat (already in position) on the outside of the combing.

I would setup a preventer on each side to eliminate need to go forward to attach/remove/swap sides.

Anyone have a pic of their setup?

Paul

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Stu Jackson

A preventer should always be led to the aft end of the boom and then to the bow.  Otherwise, one risks breaking the boom.  This comes from many discussions on cruisers forum from long distance sailors. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Paul : I can't argue with Stu or the "long range cruisers:", but I took my 4:1 and attached it from the aft bale on the boom to the aft lower shroud turnbuckle.  If you keep that vang cinched up, the boom is solidly in place.  have done it for over 20 years!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Might consider adding one of these shock absorbers into your preventer system. If you have a loose footed main you could probably wrap it twice around your boom then attach carabiners to a line or block/tackle leading to a strong point forward/athwartship.
https://www.davisinstruments.com/product/shockles/
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Geoffreykwright

I found a like to the Catalina 320 Association website which talks about rigging the preventer from where the block for the mainsheet attaches to the boom (and then forward to the bow).  Seems like a sturdy attachment point.  Would this work, or should it be attached to the aft end of the boom?
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA